Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024

Prague: Greeting-card worthy

Czeching In

If I read aloud to you in person what I'm writing now, you would see me looking at the floor, shifting my feet, red in the face, like I was in fifth grade.

"I ... I couldn't think of anything to write about," I'd say. "At least, nothing interesting. I'm not so sure what's interesting."

And you, devoted reader, would probably say, "You're ridiculous. You're living in the Czech Republic. You're young, you're free, you're full of ideas ..." here you would slap me twice, "Get a hold of yourself! There's plenty to write about!"

Yes, there is, you're right. But how can I possibly convey the experience of living here to you without being vague or making you jealous with my stories, or being pretentious enough to assume that my stories will make you jealous? You're thousands of miles away, stuck in a dorm room, studying for some quiz in statistics or (cringe) world politics. And I'm here, the splendor of Europe wrapped around me like a comforter.

You see what I mean?

I suppose I could talk about the Prague autumn. In the city and surrounding areas, children do not play in leaf piles. There is no American football, no sound of leaf blowers, not even a sign of Halloween. There is the cold air running through the narrow town passages and the smell of warmth escaping from the ground. Cutting low across the sky in its extreme autumnal arch from the eastern hills to the western ones, the sun superficially warms the raw air, making it electric. Forestial Pet'¡n Hill, which overlooks downtown from the west side of the river, is a mammoth bonfire of color. The sky is usually gray, but sometimes it is blue and, when it is, you forget it was any other way.

Just add a "Congratulations on the new baby" to that description and you've got yourself a Hallmark card. But stay with me for a second; I'm about to hoist this column up by its bootstraps. I obviously can't bestow the glory of Prague's seasons on you with words. I've got some practical tourist advice should you eventually make your way over here.

There is a certain spot on the Charles Bridge where you can relax, with a panoramic view of Prague as the summer burns out into fall and fall slips into winter. Find the stone statue that is a replica of the Pieta. It is on the Old Town side of the bridge. On either side of it is a stone platform that extends out from the bridge, over the river. It may look inhospitable, but it's a very comfortable perch that no one thinks to lounge on. And from here you can take a break from the business of the bridge, listen to the Bridge Band play Dixieland jazz and watch Pet'P¡n Hill turn gold, all the while suspended over the rush of the river. This is my frequent view, and if you can't envision it through my words, I can only suggest you remember it and see for yourself someday.