Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Campus Briefs

Student-designed, easy-to-access Web site helps students purchase cheaper textbooks

Launched last year, Bookania.com gives students from around the country quick and easy access to cheaper textbooks, founder Mike Saxena said.

"Students are low on cash anyways and expensive textbooks just increase that burden," he said. "Bookania.com can help reduce that burden."

The Web site is designed and maintained by students and offers easy navigation by allowing searches by course number, school and title, Saxena said.

He said he's received positive feedback from students throughout the country.

"I bought books at cheaper prices than the bookstore and it was so easy," said Phil Dolci of Grand Valley State University. "Bookania also sends automatic e-mails whenever the books I need are posted on the site."

For more information visit www.bookania.com

- JOE POPIOLKOWSKI

Local organization hosts Thanksgiving 3K and 5K charity runs for District's hungry

On Thanksgiving, more than 800 people will spend their morning walking or running through East Potomac Park to raise money for the District's hungry.

For its second year, the organization So Others Might Eat is sponsoring the Thanksgiving Trot For Hunger, a 3K or 5K walk or run.

Money raised for the event will go to a variety of programs for children and families, according to Jennifer Bremmer, assistant development coordinator for So Others Might Eat.

The So Others Might Eat dining room, located at 71 O St. NW, serves between 700 and 800 meals each day to poor and homeless residents, according to the group's Web site. The organization also offers worker retraining and transitional housing, among other programs.

Some money raised from the Trot for Hunger will go to the WB50 Family Fund, a local charitable organization.

The Trot for Hunger will begin at the Awakening Statue of Hains Point in East Potomac Park, located at 1090 Ohio Dr. SW. The park is located south of the Jefferson Memorial on the Tidal Basin. The Smithsonian station on the Blue and Orange Lines is the closest Metro stop to the area.

Registration is $20 per person, and Bremmer said that volunteers are still being accepted.

For more information, visit www.some.org.

- KIM PETERSON

Staff Council completes successful Turkey Drive, looks forward to holiday coat drive

The Staff Council collected money for about 150 turkeys as of last Thursday for its Turkey Drive to benefit D.C. Central Kitchen.

The project originally was to end last Thursday but will be kept open until today, according to Jean Denney, the project coordinator.

"By donating, it makes your turkey taste better," Denney said.

The group, which has held the drive for the past five years, received donations from Whole Foods and collected money, Denney said.

The Staff Council's next project is to hold a coat drive from Dec. 3 to 17. The coats will be cleaned at Leather & Lace and delivered to the Community for Creative Non-Violence homeless shelter and the Hypothermia Shelter.

Drop-off areas include Kay Spiritual Life Center and Bender Library Information Desk.

AU's Staff Council represents full- and part-time AU faculty and staff. Its mission is to "serve the interests and needs of the staff pertaining to their daily activities and work conditions as they strive to support the University's goal of quality education," according to its Web site, www.american. edu/staffcouncil/.

- STOKELY BAKSH