Sunday, Sept. 22, 2024

Best music of 2003

LAURA KAPLAN

1. Death Cab for Cutie "Transatlanticism" (Barsuk Records)

I was blown away by this album. So many songs on this CD just made me feel something. "Transatlanticism" was definitely impressive, proving that for Death Cab, the best is yet to come.

2. Radiohead "Hail to the Thief" (Capitol Records)

This was a great summer disc. Radiohead keeps evolving, creating an ambient and complex sound on this record.

3. Silverstein "When Broken is Easily Fixed" (Victory Records)

When it comes to screamo, this band gets it right. They balance singing with screaming and do both well. This is a stellar album with just the right amount of heavy in the music and emotion in the lyrics.

4. The Cardigans "Long Gone Before Daylight" ( Stockholm Records)

Forget what you know about the Cardigans from their '90s hit "Lovefool." The band's latest effort is astounding - mellow and melancholy with heartbreaking vocals.

5. Denali "The Instinct" (Jadetree Records)

I would like this band a whole lot more if their lead singer hadn't hit on my boyfriend. Still, her amazing and sultry voice makes this CD.

6. Ted Leo and the Pharmacists "Hearts of Oak" (Lookout Records)

This CD is fun, dance-able, and great to rock out to. It has an awesome retro sound that made me want to dust off my Elvis Costello records and dive back into the '80s.

7. Mico "Outside the Unbearable Grows" (G7 Welcoming Committee Records)

Mico is definitely a band on the rise, be on the lookout for them in 2004. Besides being really nice guys, they offer smart politics and solid tunes.

8. Pretty Girls Make Graves "The New Romance" (Matador Records)

This CD showcases good female-fronted rock, serving up songs with mystique and vocals that range from angelic to aggressive.

9. Garrison "The Model" (Iodine Records)

I just like this band, and "The Model" is a quality EP with some rocking songs. With only five tracks, Garrison keeps it short and sweet.

10. The Mars Volta "Deloused in the Comatorium" (Universal Records)

Despite loving "At the Drive In," I wasn't that into this record. I think that the Mars Volta was truly trying to be innovative here, and that's what earned this album so much hype. So, I decided it deserved an honorable mention at number ten.

JEN TURNER

1. Broken Social Scene "You Forgot It In People" (Arts and Crafts)

Simply amazing album, even for Canadians. Boasts some of the best bass lines in modern music, as well as heartfull, creative lyrics and an incredible knack for musicality. My own personal ambient of 2003. Choice songs: "Anthems for a 17 Year Old Girl," "Almost Crimes".

2. The Exploding Hearts " Guitar Romantic" (Dirtnap)

A band with history, albeit tragic, makes for an altogether excellent musical experience. Deconstructing the modern rock song to bring it back to the basics never sounded so good. Choice songs: "Throwaway Style," "Sleeping Aides and Razorblades."

3. The Shins "Chutes Too Narrow" (Sub Pop)

An even smoother album from an already incredible band. Everything, from the lyrics to the hooks, has the traits of something improved upon. Choice tracks: "Saint Simon," "Pink Bullets."

4. The Decemberists "Her Majesty" (Kill Rock Stars)

The only way this band could be improved upon is if singer Colin Meloy had been born British, and spoke the way he sang. "Red Right Ankle" is the first song of 2003 to bring me to near-tears (NOT EMO). Choice tracks: "Song for Myla Goldberg," "Red Right Ankle."

5. The Constantines "Shine A Light " (Sub Pop)

This band has possibly the best live show to hit the United States. They're also Canadian - trend, or permanent? Who cares? Choice tracks: "Shine A Light," "Young Lions."

6. The Wrens "The Meadowlands" (Absolutely Kosher)

"A sophomore at Brown/ She worked lost and found/ I put your face on her all year.": ability to rhyme, deft songwriting skills, and still rocking as old men. This album speaks volumes of the Wrens' subtle ways of making history. Choice tracks: "She Sends Kisses," "Happy."

7. The Books Lemon of Pink (Tomlad)

Even better than last year's "Thought for Food," because who can say no to a method made even better (re: The Shins)? Choice tracks: "Tokyo," "There Is No There."

8. Songs: Ohia "Magnolia Electric Co." (Secretly Canadian)

Singer Jason Molina's lyrics are so incredible that I repeat them in my head and my term papers without even realizing it. Someday, I will be charged for plagiarism, but until that day comes, I will continue on feeling profound because of this album. Choice tracks: "Farewell Transmission," "Hold On Magnolia."

9. Sufjan Stevens Michigan (Asthmatic Kitty)

Creative in concept, Sufjan Stevens delivered an original album that basically blew my mind with how personal a set of lyrics about an entire state could be. Choice tracks: "For the Widows in Paradise, for the Fatherless in Ypsilanti," "Flint (For the Unemployed and Underpaid)."

10. Manitoba Up In Flames (Domino)

This album is sophisticated and stylish, but listeners don't have to feel like hipster jerks for being in love. Just make copies of it for friends who listen to bad techno, and they will be converted. Choice tracks: "Hendrix With Ko," "I've Lived On a Dirt Road All My Life."

DANIEL LONGINO

1. Outkast "Speakerboxxx/The Love Below" (Arista)

The two members of Outkast, Atlanta's rap phenoms Andre 3000 and Big Boi, each recorded his own solo record and while Big Boi's was full of "crunk" party jams, Andre experimented with funk, jazz and soul to create the year's best release.

2. White Stripes "Elephant" (V2)

The White Stripes are one of the only garage-rock bands that actually live up to the hype. "Elephant" was a legend-making rock album that solidifies Jack White as this generation's rock 'n' roll frontman.

3. The Darkness "Permission to Land" (Atlantic)

For those sick of hearing Staind and Trapt dominate the radio and wondering what happened to rock 'n' roll, their saviors have come in, albeit unlikely, rock gods. On "Permission to Land," England's the Darkness has playfully packaged 10 cock-rock monster jams to headbang to, and the result is a brilliant combination of humor and musicianship not seen since Christopher Guest's parody band Spinal Tap.

4. Andrew W.K. "The Wolf" (Island)

Heavy-metal power-pop never sounded so good. Instead of trying to "Party Hard-er," hard rock hedonist Andrew W.K. opted to release a sophomore album packed with power ballads opposed to mosh pit anthems. The album's closer, "I Love Music," or first single "Never Let Down" proves AWK to be an excellent songwriter and "The Wolf" surpasses his debut "I Get Wet."

5. Hilary Duff "Metamorphosis" (Hollywood)

Move over Britney, you're so yesterday. Disney teen-queen Hilary Duff worked with today's hottest songwriters, including her older sister, to craft her very own "Metamorphosis." The songs are as catchy as any heard this year, and Duff has the beginnings of a highly successful career in music.

6. The RZA/Various Artists "Kill Bill: Volume 1 Soundtrack" (Maverick)

Quentin Tarantino has always delivered with his soundtracks, and "Kill Bill Volume 1" is no exception. With the help of the Wu-Tang Clan's the RZA, Tarantino compiles an excellent variety of songs including Nancy Sinatra's "Bang Bang" and the kick-ass "Battle Without Honour or Humanity" by Tomoyasu Hotei.

7. Reggie and the Full Effect "Under the Tray" (TVT)

Get Up Kids keyboardist James Dewees assumes several personalities on his band Reggie and the Full Effect's third release, including DJ Fluxuation and the lead singer of goth-metal band Common Denominator. Reggie, while often funny, never quite reaches the Weird Al level of full parody because of excellent songs like "Congratulations Smack and Katy" and "Getting By With Its."

8. The Postal Service "Give Up" (Sub Pop)

Death Cab for Cutie's Ben Gibbard and Jimmy Tamborello of Dntel and Figurine comprise the indie-meets-electronica group the Postal Service, and with its debut "Give Up," the pair excellently crafts pop nuggets like "Such Great Heights," "Clark Gable" and "The District Sleeps Alone Tonight."

9. Azure Ray "Hold On Love" (Saddle Creek)

Azure Ray's Orenda Fink and Maria Taylor, former members of the ever-changing Bright Eyes lineup, create a brooding, but beautiful exercise in pop catharsis on Azure Ray's third album, "Hold On Love."

10. Jay-Z "The Black Album" (Roc-A-Fella)

Jay-Z's farewell album is a bittersweet exit fit for a king, and "The Black Album" proves that he deserves one. It is the best album of Jay's illustrious career and he crafts his signature sharp verses over brilliant production.

COSTA CALOUDAS

1. The Exploding Hearts " Guitar Romantic" (Dirtnap)

A beautiful punk rock debut that will withstand the timelessness of punk-forefathers The Sex Pistols, The Jam, The Buzzcocks and the Ramones. "Guitar Romantic" is as breathtaking as it is frustrating - the band will never reach the potential that the LP foreshadows, due to the tragic July van accident. Three of the four founding members died, none of whom were wearing seatbelts.

2. My Morning Jacket "It still moves" (ATO)

I was initially saddened by My Morning Jacket signing to a major label, namely a label run by someone I despise so much - Dave Matthews. But My Morning Jacket's third record showcases a band that is continually adapting and moving forward. All three of its records are strikingly different. This year's "It Still Moves" combines the familiar folk-country classicism of Neil Young with the reverb-friendliness of the Flaming Lips.

3. The Wrens "The Meadowlands" (Absolutely Kosher)

"The Meadowlands" is the Wrens' welcome return from a painfully long hiatus. "The Meadowlands" gracefully attacks gloomy subject matter, death, divorce and depression.

4. The Shins "Chutes Too Narrow" (Sub Pop)

The Shins debut, "Oh, Inverted World" ironically thrust an introverted band into the spotlight. The Shins sophomore effort, "Chutes Too Narrow" is more experimental, less formulaic and more importantly, the band maximizes its studio potential.

5. Blur "Think Tank" (Food)

On "Think Tank," Blur looks directly into the face of adversity - the departure of axe-slinger Graham Coxon, and perfects the balance between abstract experimentalism with Brit-pop sensibility.

6. The Decemberists "Her Majesty" (Kill Rock Stars)

On "Her Majesty" the Oregon pop collective manages to include less traditional instrumentation, namely the accordion and the slide guitar, without detracting from frontman Colin Meloy's troubadour howls.

7. The Blood Brothers "Burn Piano Island, Burn!" (Artist Direct)

"Burn Piano Island, Burn!" is the most ambitious and creative hardcore record since "The Shape of Punk to Come" by Refused.

8. Dizzee Rascal "Boy in Da Corner" (Matador)

British emcee Dizzee Rascal's "Boy in Da Corner" is equally as groundbreaking as Nas' "Illmatic," but far more underrated.

9. Cat Power "You Are Free" (Matador)

A unblemished pseudo-masterpiece in Chan Marshall's consistent discography. "He War" has many undeniably wonderful pop songs.

10. British Sea Power "The Decline of British Sea Power" (Rough Trade)

British Sea Power is quite pretentious, and with good reason. "The Decline of British Sea Power" seamlessly transitions from Black Francis inspired spastic wails to sophisticated Tony Visconti-era David Bowie

ALEX KARGHER

1. Cursive "The Ugly Organ" (Saddle Creek)

In March I said that this could be the end-all of albums that will be released this year. I guess my mind didn't change.

2. The Distillers "Coral Fang" (Sire/Hellcat)

Brody Dalle proved this year that her bark was as strong as her bite as she had an affair with Queens of the Stone Age's Josh Homme, divorced her husband Tim Armstrong of Rancid, and put out what is arguably the best record of The Distillers' career.

3. The Exploding Hearts "Guitar Romantic" (Dirt Nap)

Most people never had the chance to hear or see The Exploding Hearts, and most never will as three of the four members died in a tragic tour accident this summer. "Guitar Romantic" makes this loss seem ever greater as its Elvis Costello meets The Clash sound helped craft one of the rawest, yet most melodic records of the year.

4. The Darkness "Permission To Land" (Atlantic)

The Darkness rocks, flat out. Amazingly catchy songs with witty lyrics and excellent musicianship, not to mention that the falsetto is out of control. These Brits are right up the alley of anyone whose last great record they listened to was put out by Queen or AC/DC.

5. AFI "Sing the Sorrows" (Dreamworks)

When AFI signed to Dreamworks, everyone panicked. Turns out that along with a slew of other punk bands that went to majors, AFI did so with great success, selling 250,000 copies of this roller coaster of an album.

6. Deftones "Deftones" (Maverick)

It makes me sad that Deftones are piled into the nu-metal castle alongside bands like Staind, because it totally discounts the art of "White Pony" and the band's latest album, "Deftones." For its fourth release, band members mesh some of their heaviest sounds with some of their most delicate, creating a bipolar masterpiece that becomes more relevant with each listen.

7. The Strokes "Room on Fire" (RCA)

To be blunt, I hated "Is This It," but "Room on Fire" totally made me believe.

8. Blink-182 "Blink-182" (Interscope)

When did Blink-182 grow-up? Somewhere in left field Blink-182 put out the record that no one ever thought they could. Poignant lyrics, yes, no more dick and fart jokes. Robert Smith backing vocals. Solid songs wrought with emotion and talent.

9. British Sea Power "The Decline of British Sea Power" (Rough Trade)

One of the most complex pop records of the year. British Sea Power far surpasses Coldplay for British band with ballad skills, they just need to get discovered.

10. An Albatross "We Are The Laser Viking" (Ace Fu)

"We Are The Laser Viking," 11 songs and barely nine minutes, is a testament to the dance punk that was reincarnated this year. While An Albatross isn't everyone's cup of tea, they managed to release an amazingly cathartic album full of humorous lyrics and lots of keyboard.

GARRETT KARRBERG

1. Thrice "The Artist in the Ambulance" (Island)

Great music, lyrics, and energy. Thrice's best CD and the best of 2003. Listen to it over and over again.

2. Mars Volta "De-Loused in the Comatorium" (Universal)

The whole CD flows perfectly while crafting a unique sound. It is the modern "Dark Side of the Moon."

3. Sullen "Paint the Moon" (Thick Records)

Female lead trio that rocks just as hard as anyone out there. A great release from this new band.

4. Led Zeppelin "How the West Was Won" (Atlantic)

Finally, a quality live album from perhaps the greatest rock and roll band ever. This three-disc set shows what made Led Zeppelin so great.

5. Local H "The No Fun EP" (Thick Records)

Two covers and four originals that show that Local H is still around. This is what a two-piece rock band should sound like.

6. Cursive "The Ugly Organ" (Saddle Creek)

A unique sound that uses a beautiful cello to its advantage. Cursive was an emo band before emo became "cool."

7. Thursday "War All the Time" (Island)

The emo-sounding Thursday continues to write songs that are as great musically as they are powerful.

8. Idlewild "The Remote Part" (Parlophone Records)

An REM-sounding band that knows how to write passionate, melodic, and even catchy songs.

9. AFI "Sing the Sorrow" (Dreamworks)

Major label release from veteran punks AFI. Davey Havok's vocals are as powerful as ever and this CD is one of the band's best.

10. Ivory Wire "The World is Flat" (Aware Records)

The former band Dovetail Joint returns as Ivory Wire to release a solid rock CD. It combines quality songs with pop sensibilities.

JORGE DEL PINAL

1. Thursday "War All of The Time" (Island)

New Jersey post-hardcore band's emotionally charged lyrics dealing with growing up, loss and social commentary is darkly poetic and memorable.

2. Brand New "Deja Entandu" (Razor and Tie)

Long Island band's sophomore effort is amazingly well written and captivating. Discusses everything from heartbreak to breaking hearts, and from dealing with a death in the family to being homesick.

3. The Mars Volta "Deloused in the Comatorium" (Universal)

I wasn't a huge fan of "At The Drive In," but the former members created something incredible in The Mars Volta, mixing all kinds of strange styles of music into one awesome experimental album.

4. Blink 182 "Blink 182" (Interscope)

Although Blink 182's older releases were amazing, the band has shown that they can make something more grown up and off the beaten path. Blink 182 proves they are not just a run of the mill generic pop punk band on self-titled.

5. Reggie and The Full Effect "Under the Tray" (Vagrant)

Funny and catchy, Reggie is best experienced live in concerts that feature costumes, animal suits, and roller stakes. Along with Reggie's brand of quirky pop punk, "Under the Tray" features hilarious alter personalities of the German punk band "Common Denominator," and British techno master "DJ Fluxuation."

6. Fall Out Boy "Take This To Your Grave" (Fueled By Ramen)

Pop punk band that is just plain fun to listen to. They remind me of older New Found Glory, employing great bitter lyrics and occasional screams to make them a cut ahead of many bands in the same genre.

7. RX Bandits "The Resignation" (Drive Thru)

Ska band's latest release address their issues about politics and society using appealing and intelligent lyrics and style.

8. Thrice "The Artist in the Ambulance" (Island)

Although not as good as the band's previous record "The Illusion of Safety," "Artist" is a great mix of metal, hardcore, and pop-punk influences that is vastly different than anything else out right now.

9. AFI "Sing The Sorrow" (Dreamworks)

Dark punk band employs techno to "Sing the Sorrow," making them sound even cooler than they used to.

10. Senses Fail "The Depth of Dreams" (Drive Thru Records)

Intensely catchy New Jersey upstarts employ bitter and imaginative lyrics about heartbreak and seeking revenge for it.