Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Campus News Briefs

Centennial Hall Director leaves for North Carolina

Centennial Hall Resident Director Keith Ridgeway left his position last week upon accepting the role of Director of Student Activities at Lenoir-Rhyne College in North Carolina.

"I'm going to miss the D.C. area, the R.A. staff who I enjoyed working with, and my R.D. coworkers," Ridgeway said.

Ridgeway was director for more than

seven months but decided to take the job

because he wanted to focus on student

programming.

"We're sad to see anyone to leave mid-year, but this was a good opportunity for Keith and we wish him well," Julie Weber said, executive director of Housing and Dining Programs.

Amber Lang, resident director of Letts Hall, will be overlooking students and staff.

Dale Booth, R.A. of Anderson Hall, will overlook facilities, and Leonard Hall R.D. Serjio Acevado will take over front desk duties.

- STOKELY BAKSH

Custodians to get pay raise, no change in health care

Before winter break, custodians on campus petitioned for higher wages, pension plans and adequate healthcare.

"The outcome is a little less than what I expected for the first year," Diaz said.

"I was expecting $1 increase. As far as the second and third years, that was completely unexpected."

Custodians are employed by Aramark, who has a contract with AU to provide cleaning services on campus.

Employees will receive a $.70 increase beginning this July, followed by a $.50 rise in 2005 and $.40 in 2006, according to Maria Diaz of the Service Employees International Union. Employees were given back pay since the wage policy was to be in effect since July 2003.

"Insurance will stay as is, as well as health care coverage," said Diaz.

Diaz explained that the workload for many employees is simply too high.

"Right now, the issue is not completely resolved," Diaz said. "We are working out such things as the fact that some Latino workers have to clean five to six floors whereas African-American workers only have to clean one or two."

Diaz's opinion as to why Aramark waited until the holiday break to make its final offer was because they knew AU students would be out of town and couldn't rally for their support.

- KATE OCZYPOK

Alliance formed to oversee student government at AU

The Waterglass Alliance is a new organization on campus that plans to work toward transparency in student government, according to Daniel Cohen, founder of the alliance.

The alliance plans to lobby for students and take their problems and requests to the General Assembly.

"The [Student Confederation] and GA have a long history of throwing mud at each other," Cohen said. 'The Waterglass Alliance promises to lobby for the rights of AU students."

Initiatives are still underway, as the alliance only began this semester.

Cohen said that the group plans to have town hall style meetings, a meet the candidate night and other meetings to inform people about the SC and GA's plans.

They also plan to help GA members draft a constitution.

For more information on the alliance, contact Cohen at (202) 885-7820 or e-mail him at dc8731a@american.edu.

- K.O.