Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Remembering the dream

On Campus | Around DC

On-campus events include hip-hop

Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration 2004 A Day On ... Not A Day Off

Month of January Martin Luther King, Jr. Exhibit University Library, Monday through Wednesday 8 a.m. to 2 p.m., Thursday 8 a.m. to midnight, Friday 8 a.m. to 10 p.m., Saturday 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., Sunday 9 a.m. to 2 a.m. There will be an exhibit that connects King, the Brown vs. Board of Education Supreme Court case, the civil rights movement, the war on poverty and hip-hop music.

Thursday, Jan. 15

Washington College of Law Fifth Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Birthday Commemoration Washington College of Law, Room 603, 4 to 6 p.m. Law professor David Hutchinson, will give a keynote address on the bridge between Brown vs. Board of Education, and University of Michigan affirmative action Supreme Court decisions.

Monday, Jan. 19

Day of Service to Honor Dr. King 8:15 a.m., shuttle departs Hughes Hall The Community Service Center and the Eagle Endowment are sponsoring service projects at the historic Woodlawn Cemetery and Capital Children's Museum. RSVP volunteer@american.edu or stop by MGC 273.

Tuesday, Jan. 20

The Dream to Hip Hop Kay Spiritual Life Center, 8 to 9:30 p.m. William Smith, assistant professor of music, moderates a discussion highlighting the connections and conflict between the hip-hop genre of music and Dr. King's dream. Panelists include Caleen Jennings, professor of performing arts, Edward Smith, director of the American Studies Program, and Charles Sutton, visiting assistant professor of history. The event includes a live performance of hip hop artist Priest da Nomad.

Wednesday, Jan. 21

Meditation Kay Spiritual Life Center, 8 to 10 a.m. Reflection upon King's life and legacy while listening to audiotapes of his most inspiring words.

Musical and Oratorical Tribute to Dr. King Kay Spiritual Life Center, 12:15 to 1:15 p.m. The AU Gospel Choir and Jazz Ensemble celebrates King's legacy through music, directed by Choir Director Sylstea Sledge and William Smith. The tribute will also feature a dramatic reading of "The Dream Sounds in Me," arranged by Performing Arts Professor Caleen Jennings.

Film screening of Citizen King Wechsler Theater, Mary Graydon Center, 5:30 to 7:45 p.m. Filmmaker Orlando Bagwell will present his film Citizen King and answer questions. His film explores the last five years in King's life by drawing on the personal recollections and eyewitness accounts of a variety of people. Sponsored by The Center for Social Media, Student Union Board and the Office of Campus Life.

-Stokely Baksh

On Campus | Around DC

Kennedy Center honors MLK Jr. with gospel choir concert

A series of events will be held around D.C. to memorialize Martin Luther King, Jr. on Monday.

City Museum 801 K St., NW Mount Vernon Square Metro (202) 383-1800 2 p.m., $5 to $7 The City Museum will have a "Birthday Party Tell-ebration" at which people can talk about what Martin Luther King, Jr. means to them.

Kennedy Center 2700 F St. NW Foggy Bottom-GWU Metro station (202) 467-4600 6 p.m., Free Soprano singer Jessy Norman and Georgetown University's Gospel and Chapel Choirs will have a concert to honor King at the Kennedy Center's Millennium Stage.

National Archives 700 Pennsylvania Ave. NW Archives-Navy Memorial Metro (202) 501-5404 10 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Free The National Archives and Records Administration will display the Emancipation Proclamation Monday. The document will only be on display for one day so it can be more easily preserved. President Abraham Lincoln issued the Proclamation on Jan. 1, 1863 to free slaves in Confederate states that were not controlled by Union troops.

-Rebecca Bellville