Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Campus Briefs

Student Activities Program Advisor leaves for Marymount

The Program Advisor for various AU clubs has decided to leave her position to begin work at another institution.

Tracey Florence, an advisor since August 2001, applied for a position at Marymount University, which she calls "an amazing opportunity."

Initially, Florence began working with clubs with names beginning with the letters A through L, but more recently she had been advising clubs with the letters A through I.

In the past, she has worked with such AU organizations as the General Assembly, AU's student body legislature, Kennedy Political Union, Homecoming Committee, the Student Advocacy Center and various community service organizations.

"I am going to miss all of the students here at AU, especially all the hard-working people," Florence said. "It is going to be hard to leave people I care about."

Florence's position has not yet been filled.

- KATE OCZYPOK

Two AU alums take part in reality show 'The Apprentice'

AU alumna Heidi Bresseler is among 15 contestants competing for a $250,000 salary working for Donald Trump on the new NBC reality TV show "The Apprentice." Helping to produce the show is another former alumna, Megan Leff, who is an assistant location manager.

Selected from among 250,000 applicants, Bresseler, 30, received her Master's in Justice, Law and Society at AU in 1997 and was working as a senior account executive for Qwest Communications in Philadelphia before going on the show.

Leff, 29, a graduate from the School of Communication in 1996, switched her career from an advertising account manager at Ogilvy & Mather to production about a year ago and describes TV production as "kind of a wacky business."

"We don't get overly involved in their lives, because we're not part of the show, we're a part of what makes the show happen," Leff said in the AU Alumni newsletter, of the limited interaction of the production staff and contestants. "On a reality show where the contestants are being filmed 24-7, you don't have a huge opportunity to sit down and chat with them."

"The Apprentice" airs Thursday nights at 9 p.m. on NBC.

- STOKELY BAKSH