Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

GA approves Taylor, Hoffman

The General Assembly, AU's student-body legislature, met yesterday to appoint Kyle Taylor as vice president of the Student Confederation and Liz Hoffman as director of the Student Advocacy Center, and to allocate additional funds for concerts.

Kyle Taylor served as director of Eagle Nights for the fall semester as well as acting vice president of the SC since the beginning of the semester. He is replacing Marguerite Meyer, who had to resign because she is no longer a full-time student. Last week, SC president Nick Terzulli, declared a "state of emergency" to defer the SC constitution in order to appoint Taylor to his new position. Without the state of emergency, the act would be unconstitutional, as the Constitution requires a VP candidate to be chosen from the GA.

"As vice president, I would like to make a packet that Student Activities would put out," Taylor said, pitching his ideas. "It would include advice and ways to improve and begin your own club or organization."

"I am excited that my position has been made official," Taylor said. "It's time to get back to the office to get some work done, especially preparing for the Founder's Day Ball on Feb. 21."

Tickets for the Founder's Day Ball are $20, and they will go on sale Tuesday in Mary Graydon Center, according to Taylor.

Hoffman is in a situation similar to Taylor's. She is replacing Richard Garcia as director of SAC. Garcia was forced to resign after two incomplete courses, which caused his grade point average to drop.

"I have been assistant director of the Student Advocacy Center for three years," Hoffman said. "I will be working to adjust the filing cabinet for next year as well as working on things internally for next year."

Hoffman has met with Gail Hanson, vice president of Campus Life, to discuss student's cases that Hoffman has heard this past month. SAC deals with students' problems in judicial affairs, academic complaints, financial aid, campus housing and student accounts.

Hoffman was appointed director of SAC by unanimous decision.

The GA also voted to allocate $30,000 to the Student Union Board (SUB). Hearings were held for SUB Thursday in McDowell Hall to discuss the allocation of funds. By giving SUB the money it is requesting, it would give it a chance to bring in a large variety of music acts to please the various tastes of the AU student body, according to SUB.

The GA voted to give SUB the money for two upcoming concerts that will be free to the student body. Currently, SUB is working to bring a Grammy-nominated act to AU, according to GA members speaking in favor of SUB's request.