Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

'Osama Found' link uses AIM to spread

A virus-like computer game called "Osama Found" has been plaguing AOL Instant Messenger users, including many here at AU, for the past few weeks.

Those who have the game on their computers most likely got it after receiving an Internet link from others on their AOL Instant Messenger buddy lists. The problem is actually a piece of software that people download on the Web site the link leads to.

The link to the site gets passed through AIM, and once the person clicks on it, a window comes up asking if the person would like to download something to play the game. Those who download this end up downloading a piece of software that sends the link to everyone on their buddy lists, telling buddies to check out the link.

Programs like this are typically referred to as "adware," which is a kind of software that collects information about computer users and puts advertising banners on a person's computer.

People sending the links have no idea that they are even doing it or that anything unusual has been put on their computers. Because the game is a software program and not a virus, anti-virus software doesn't catch it. The AU Help Desk has received a few dozen calls in relation to the program. More students have probably received it, but were able to figure out how to remove it on their own.

Freshman Kate Wiley got the link sent to her by one of the girls on her crew team. After downloading the program, she kept getting angry messages from people on her buddy list asking her why she kept sending the link to them.

"People kept thinking I was doing it on purpose," Wiley said. "It was so annoying."

Wiley didn't even think the game itself was that interesting or fun. Eric Weakland, director of network security for e-operations, suggests that students use caution when clicking on links that are sent to them, even if it's sent by people they know. They should be wary if there has been no previous conversation about the link, he said, advising students to ask the sender if the link is safe to click on.

"It's something that would be very hard to prevent," Weakland said. "There's no way to actually verify that things are really from the sender."

The license agreement for the program actually states that the software can use a person's buddy list to send out advertisements and links. However, few people thoroughly read those agreements before downloading programs.

The game doesn't actually harm computers, but will continue to send the link to others if it's not removed.

Getting rid of the game is relatively easy. Windows users can go to "Add/Remove Programs" after clicking on the "Start" menu. Then, remove applications entitled "Buddy Links," "PSDT Messaging Integration" or "PSD Tools ChannelUp v.1.0."

America Online, Inc. is looking into ways to take legal action against the creators of the game, according to the IDG News Service. Because the program is sent out in a form of mass distribution, it could violate AOL terms of service.

Out of all the possible technical problems facing students, this program isn't that significant, Weakland said, advising students to download patches that protect their computers from dangerous viruses.