Wednesday, Sept. 25, 2024

Weekend Hot Spots

Punk rock, hip-hop and comedy

Friday, Feb. 6

Dropkick Murphy's and Stiff Little Fingers Nation 6:30 p.m. 1015 Half St. SE $17, ticketmaster.com

It's uncommon when a classic band of yesteryear unites with a young band - and even more so when the union doesn't scream of desperation (Iggy Pop asking Sum 41 to appear on his new record "Skull Ring," for example). Despite the age difference, the connection between Stiff Little Fingers and the Dropkick Murphy's seems inevitable. Both Irish punk-rock titans sang politically-inclined anthems - Stiff Little Fingers on growing up during warfare-plagued Northern Ireland, the Murphy's on unions, manual labor and passing time in pubs.

Saturday, Feb. 7

Talib Kweli, The Tavern 7 p.m. Free with AU ID. Each student allowed two guests.

In a stale stage of hip-hop where hollow anthems of misogyny and materialism prevail, Talib Kweli is a welcome face deviating from the sea of monotony. Kweli honed his hip-hop chops with DJ Hi-Tek in the MC/ DJ duo Reflection Eternal prior to creating Black Star with Mos Def. Their epic 1998 self-titled masterpiece "Black Star" was a poetic gem, reviving articulation and intellectual stimulation. In 2002, Kweli made his first solo effort, "Quality," proving that he could prevail with any DJ by his side. Whereas Kweli doesn't have the multi-platinum bling of 50 Cent, he does have what 50 lacks: an education, talent and sophisticated rhymes.

Sunday, Feb. 8

"Last Comic Standing" D.C. Improv, 8 p.m. $20, dcimprov.com

Last spring, NBC's comedian reality show "Last Comic Standing" surprisingly found Dat Phan, an inexperienced and unfunny newbie, upsetting the favorite Ralphie May in the final episode. Three of the house residents, Rich Vos, Dave Mordal and Cory Kahaney, appear at the Improv. Phan's one-dimensional routine of poking fun at his Vietnamese culture - specifically his mother - grew tired quickly, and his lack of experience made him the likely housemate next to go. Week after week, he stuck around - notably with a surprise upset over the talented Dave Mordal in a face-off challenge.