Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Campus Briefs

Ladner writes letter about University tap water standards

AU President Benjamin Ladner does not foresee any adverse health effects for students who drink campus tap water, he wrote in a letter to the campus community on March 17 regarding University water standards.

The University does not receive its water from the lines confirmed to be affected, the memo stated. In addition, the University has conducted tests in 24 buildings on main and Tenley campuses.

Ladner also emphasized that due to the many sources of water on campus, unlike in homes, students are less likely to consistently use a contaminated water source.

Further information can be obtained from the D.C. Health Department Web site, http://dchealth.dc.gov/information/ fact_sheets/lead.shtm or by contacting Assistant Vice President for Facilities Jorge Abud at x2731 with questions.

The Eagle previously reported that the water was being tested, and Willy Suter, director of Physical Plant Operations, was confident that the results would show no signs of lead.

- SETH JOHNSON

AU Professor Alan Kraut wins History award for book

AU professor Alan Kraut was named co-winner of the Society for History in the Federal Government Henry Adams Prize for his recently published book "Goldberger's War: The Life and Work of a Public Health Crusader."

Kraut was recently honored at a luncheon last Friday at the society's annual conference held at the Library of Congress.

His novel honors Joseph Goldberger, one of the most acknowledged U.S. Public Health Service employees. Golberger was "an immigrant Jew who was trained as a doctor at Bellevue [Hospital's Medical College], became an early recruit to the federal government's health service and put an end to an American plague" according to a press release.

The Henry Adams Prize is presented to authors whose books further knowledge to the public about the history of the federal government.

Kraut is a professor of history and has written several novels, including "Silent Travelers: Germs, Genes, and the 'Immigrant Menace,'" "The Huddled Masses: The Immigrant in American Society, 1880-1921," and "American Refugee and European Jewry, 1933-1945."

- JEANNETTE KIMMEL