Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

CD Reviews

Aveo "Battery" (Barsuk) Indie Rock

**

Something seems to be lost in the fire when producer Phil Ek takes the reigns. There's a hit-or-miss clause to his ability to make pretty what was once bland. Such may be the case with Aveo and the polished album, "Battery."

The album starts out with "Newton and Galileo," a song of outreach to the inner nerd in us all. The lyrics read like a love-struck couple in a planetarium. "The Idiot on the Bike" is the first major deviation in style for the band, as Aveo transcends the minor-key thump of the first three tracks in favor of a swagger. But then when singer William Wilson launches into a series of "la la la ooh," all is nearly lost - barely holding a tune on some tracks, Wilson's voice invokes an off-kilter croon similar to Morrissey's.

"Battery" is not entirely without hope though. "Fistfights with Mr. G" is a moment of clarity for Aveo, but it needs to bring even more to the table to prevent the disappearing act syndrome from kicking in.

- JEN TURNER

The Sultans "Shipwrecked" (Swami) Rock 'n' Roll

**

On "Shipwrecked," The Sultans' sophomore outing, the freshness of "Ghost Ship," the band's debut, is all but lost. Though the first few tracks entertain the idea that the following 11 will be a return to Rocket From the Crypt's "RFTC," somewhere in the midst, John Reis (Speedo) and Andy (N.D.) of RFTC veer off that course, forcing listeners to bellow, "Why Speedo, Why? All we wanted was another Rocket From the Crypt record!" as "Shipwrecked" spirals down into treaded waters and wrecks on the rocks of rock relics.

Though "Shipwrecked" is a necessary addition to your RFTC collection, its songs lack the passion of its members' full-time band and the creative elements of other side projects like Hot Snakes and Special Goodness. On the whole, "Shipwrecked" isn't an entire loss though. "It Meant Nothing," "Try to forget You" and "Walk of Shame" salvage this from being a disaster.

- ALEX KARGHER

Ima Robot "Ima Robot" (Virgin Records) Alternative Pop

***

There are select few bands that can get away with being weird. but in the case of Ima Robot, the eccentricity works for it rather than against it. Robot, a strange mixture of electro-pop, punk and modern rock, offers a solid debut album that is anything but generic. There is a distinct range of songs on the release, varying from the pseudo-political punk rock of "A is For Action" to the melodic rhythms of "Let's Talk Turkey."

Lead singer Alex Ebert has a slightly high-pitched voice that offers a borderline hooky sound that is not exactly easy on the ears, but works for the aberrant music his band is making.

Ima Robot's debut is both catchy and edgy at the same time, and offers something out of the ordinary in the usually bland rock scene. Its peculiar brand of rock, however, takes a few listens to become accustomed to.

- EMILY ZEMLER

John Frusciante "Shadows Collide With People" (Warner Bros.) Rock

****

Red Hot Chili Peppers' guitarist John Frusciante is the driving force behind the Peppers' continuing relevance, and with his latest solo album "Shadows Collide With People," he proves it beyond a shadow of a doubt. From the synthesized opener "Carvel," to the acoustic pop of "Song to Sing When I'm Lonely," Frusciante presents a solid and more coherent feel than his previous releases. The heavily experimental drug-pop of Frusciante's earlier work is replaced with a solo act reaching its potential. Frusciante's vocals are also significantly improved on this record, although he is still at his best singing falsetto, like on the chorus of the jangling electric "Water."

With "Shadows Collide With People," Frusciante proves himself to be an excellent pop songwriter and musician. His solo albums continue to get better, and this record is not only for fans of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but also for any music enthusiast.

- DAN LONGINO

Lostprophets "Start Something" (Columbia) Hard Rock

*** 1/2

During the height of Nu-Metal/ rap-metal popularity circa 1999, the Welsh rock bandLostprophets emerged onto the scene and was quickly grouped into the Nu-Metal category. Although the band does have an aggressive edge and occasionally screams, it embraces a more melodic and catchy sound that separates it from the genre in which it was improperly grouped. "Start Something," the band's sophomore effort, is very well produced by Eric Valentine (Good Charlotte, Third Eye Blind, Queens of The Stone Age) and shows Lostprophets' melodic side as well as its rock side. The single "Last Train Home" is a perfect example of how the band melds pop sensibility with aggressive rock, creating an addictive anthem that already has listeners' heads bobbing. Other standout tracks include the title track, the brooding "We Still Kill The Old Way," "To Hell We Ride" and the catchy "Burn, Burn." Fans of Linkin Park and Incubus will enjoy "Start Something."

- JORGE DEL PINAL

Micheal Franti and Spearhead "Everyone Deserves Music" (BMG) Hip-hop

***

If the Dave Matthews Band and the Roots procreated, the result would be Micheal Franti and Spearhead's album "Everyone Deserves Music." The album is an eclectic blend of funk, hip-hop, R&B and even rock that most artists shy away from because the blend calls for so much talent and variety. "Everyone" takes off in places where other artists fall short; Franti and Spearhead remains socially conscious throughout the whole and is more versatile in the genres with which it experiments. While most of the tracks have a funky sound, a definite folk sound here and there surprises the listener. And although the instrumental music is strong and has the potential to overpower the songs, Franti's voice remains strong and clear. The album is a break away from the normal social conscious hip-hop. It's aware without being overtly preachy and remains entertaining.

- TARA JACKSON

Stratovarius "Elements, Pt. 2" (Nuclear Blast) Power Metal

**

Recently, Finland's Stratovarius has made waves in the metal music community mostly due to its notorious personnel problems, including Timo Tolkki's firing of popular singer Timo Kotipelto and the band's most recent drummer in favor of an unknown female lead singer and hastily patched new lineup, and inflammatory comments on the band's Web site, which have convinced Stratovarius' dwindling fan base that he has become out of control. That aside, this final album from the old lineup is less interesting.

Released in October 2003, this disc probably sounds to most Americans like experimental band Dream Theater with vocals from '80s rockers the Scorpions. Although "I'm Still Alive" showcases impressive vocals from the departed Kotipelto and "Know the Difference" pays an interesting homage to harpsichord-based Baroque music with Tolkki's guitars interwoven, most people on this side of the Atlantic would probably ask why this album got lost in the '80s and decided to return.

- GEORGE MELISSINOS

Keb' Mo' "Keep it Simple" (OKeh / Epic/ Sony) Blues

** 1/2

Keb' Mo' is a breath of fresh air and "Keep it Simple" is a companion of meandering moods and textures designed to accompany a life less tortured. With the already satisfying sound of his blues, Mo' mixes developed sensibilities of bluegrass, gospel and even folk.

His lyrics are unique, and he sing about subjects from the mundane to the utterly ridiculous. It's a style that is reminiscent of the late Wesley Willis, although not as prodigally inspired as Willis' genius.

"Keep it Simple" is also pop-palatable. This is Mo's third album, and admittedly he has become drawn to mainstream sensibilities. His awareness of this, though, is a plus. Somewhere between his last album and this album Mo's lyrics have developed away from the edge of the dangerously "kumbaya"-style campfire sound that had threatened to ruin this album.

Mo' is not what most would think of as a bluesman. He is no B.B. King or Ray Charles, and sadly he lacks that edge that would make his music something to share, but it is sophisticated and polished music that most of all communicates mood.

- AHMED NZIBO