Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

GoGoGo Airheart and the Apes heat up the District

GoGoGo Airheart broke the shoe gaze of an unsuspecting crowd on Friday at Warehouse Next Door, kicking out a slew of disco-infused rock from its upcoming record.

The San Diego three-piece, though often four- or five-piece, took control of the tiny music space with its critically acclaimed licks, which have unfortunately gone unnoticed by the mainstream. Michael Vermillion's vocals were in top shape, melding very well with Ashish Vyaz's and Andy Robillard's newest musical conquest, making everyone dance. Though a good portion of the crowd was there for the headliners, D.C. natives the Apes, a good portion of the floor was kicking up its heels.

After GoGoGo laid down the dance, the Apes threw down the rock. Taking the audience by the throat, the Apes frontman Paul Weil and his band of hooligans - Amanda Kleinman, Jeff Schmid and Erik Jackson - had the crowd awestruck. Channeling hard rock in the vein of Led Zeppelin and Black Sabbath through an interesting grouping of instruments, bass, moog, organ and drums, the Apes brought its records to life.

Donning colorful Renaissance-esque costumes, the Apes played tracks off of both its LPs, "The Fugue in the Fog" and "Oddeyesee." The band's mishmash of rock and bizarre lyrics made for a thoroughly intense and enjoyable live performance that teetered on the edge of mainstream and underground. The future looks bright for this motley crew, so pay attention and catch it while the band is still small.