Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

SC candidates debate on ATV

Campus safety and communication barriers between the AU student body and the administration were among heated topics discussed by student government presidential candidates at last Thursday's ATV Student Confederation Presidential Debate in the Media Production Center.

Presidential candidates Steve Gilbert, Polson Kanneth, John Lancelot, Matt Miller and Will Mount all took part in the annual ATV event. The event was moderated by ATV's Jackie Dizdul and the Media Board included Keith Shovlin of The Eagle and Jeff Behrens of BenLadner.com.

Miller and Mount focused on building a more positive AU community while Lancelot and Gilbert concentrated on portraying themselves as leaders for AU students. Kanneth chose to focus on issues such as more communication with Student Accounts as well as lowering student parking rates, which is a big part of his campaign.

Mount spent the majority of the debate enforcing his idea for a student entertainment center, despite audience questions about whether or not he will be able to finance it.

"I would like to renovate Mary Graydon Center to develop it into an entertainment center with pool tables and couches for students to hang out," Mount said. "It would really bring back school spirit to AU."

Miller debated issues involving the administration, especially the aspect of positive communication. He also said that the AU Club Council should remain a large part of the SC, because he began to feel comfortable in the AU community when he joined the College Republicans, and then the College Democrats.

"We need positive communication with the administration ... sometimes we need to sit back and listen to them," Miller said. "I know that sometimes being the president of the SC really bites, but the president is the voice of the student body."

Lancelot was criticized for his campaign's idea for a student security system, which would use students to form a volunteer police force, patrolling the campus. He plans to hold students accountable by oath as a precaution if the system were to fail.

"I plan to recruit Justice, Law, and Society majors as a student police force, because they will be the future CIA agents and police forces," he said.

Gilbert, known as "Big Steve," was questioned about whether or not his idea to appoint a Greek cabinet is what's best for the SC.

"We are ignoring 18 percent of the people on this campus who know how to have a good time, and those 18 percent are the Greek population," Gilbert promptly replied. "If we seek them for assistance, we will have more students come to events."

Following the round of questioning, candidates were asked questions by members of the audience.

Kanneth, who is president of Leonard Hall's Residence Hall Association, was asked how he would relate to students outside of Leonard Hall.

"My job as a Leonard Hall representative as well as a Kennedy Political Union representative is just what I said: a job," Kanneth said. "Once I am finished with my duties, I relax and hang out with my friends afterwards."

The most interesting question-and-answer session of the evening was when the candidates were asked to criticize a certain aspect of a fellow candidate's campaign.

"Fiction is fun," Gilbert said. "I mean, we can take AUTO vans to the moon and back, but my ideas can happen; they're realistic."

Lancelot chose to tie all of the campaigns together by explaining that all the campaigns are full of good ideas, but not many are realistic.

Miller attacked Mount's campaign for an entertainment center.

"People are not listening when they're being told ... an entertainment center will be built within 10 years; it's part of [President Benjamin] Ladner's 10 Year Plan ... It is not the time to focus on such things now," Miller said.

Mount responded to the skepticism about his entertainment center.

"We're sitting here criticizing unrealistic ideas ... we're not here to fight with other candidates," Mount said. "I'm sick and tired of others going after me ... I'm here to fight for myself."

Kanneth chose not to attack a particular campaign.

"Don't let anyone say they can't do it until they try," Kanneth said. "I'm not going to duke it out with any of my opponents ... I'm here to promote my own ideas, not attack others."

The debate is airing opposite other ATV shows until Monday night. SC elections for president, in addition to other positions, are being held in Mary Graydon Center 120 today from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. and Tuesday from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. The results will be announced Tuesday at 9 p.m. in the Tavern.