Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Strossen speaks about rights, Ashcroft, gallbladder

According to Nadine Strossen, president of the American Civil Liberties Union, the only thing she and John Ashcroft have in common is that they have both had gallbladder surgery.

On Tuesday, Strossen spoke at AU in Ward 1 about freedom, civil rights and the PATRIOT Act. The event was sponsored by the Kennedy Political Union, Women & Politics Institute and the Student Activity Center, and cosponsored by the College Democrats and the Department of Information Technology.

This was also the first event that was organized by KPU Deputy Director Nick Thorpe.

Strossen also held up a thong emblazoned with T.I.A., the Total Information Awareness program that someone gave her as a gift, to the crowd. According to the ACLU Web site, the T.I.A. has elements in it that are reminiscent of George Orwell's "1984."

According to KPU Volunteers Coordinator Heather Blandford, the event went very well, and Strossen did not say anything too controversial. Blandford said Strossen spoke about fighting the PATRIOT Act and "taking freedom back"