Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

CD Reviews

Versatile

**

"The Versatilty EP" (self-released) Sounds like: Sean Paul if he lived in Letts.

On Versatile's debut EP, he brings his trilingual jazz and hip-hop fusion to six tracks. "The Versatility EP" is an improvement from Versatile's previous work as half of the AU rap duo Silky & Suede, and there are moments where Versatile's promise as a talented MC shines through. However, for the most part the EP blends jazzy beats with average lyrics to mixed results.

On the opener, "Jazzy," producer Axiom delivers a stale beat that doesn't quite match with Versatile's quick flow. On the second track, "Global Perspective," Versatile attempts to enlighten with heartfelt lyrics like "From Hitler's abhorrent behavior, to Africa's enslavement / To da transgressions on and oppression of America's truest natives," but it just comes off as cheesy.

Versatile exhibits his talent on tracks like "Detail of 2 Cities" and "G Sessions" (which samples an Xzibit beat), but overall "The Versatility EP" is just what it promises: inconsistent.

- DANIEL LONGINO

Diana Krall

*** 1/2

"The Girl in the Other Room" (Verve Records) Sounds like: Russet brandy in a diamond glass.

Her voice isn't just vocals. It's an aphrodisiac, a late evening mist, the cool side of the pillow. By the time Diana Krall sings "Love Me Like a Man" on track six, it's almost redundant. Through her honey-dipped vocal chords and precise piano playing, Krall has carved out an enviable position in the industry; she's gone platinum by, well, sticking to her roots. As sultry as Sarah, bouncy as Billie and mellifluous as Ella, Krall is a triple threat: She sings, she plays piano (with solid backup from bass, drums and guitar) and she writes her own music. "The Girl in the Other Room," her seventh release, features six originals whose lyrics are co-written by her husband Elvis Costello. Most notable is "Narrow Daylight," a disarming and sweet refraction of love in sunlight, the bluesy "Stop This World," "Temptation" (during which Krall plays the piano like it's your spine) and the strangely sad title song. The feel of the album sways around the genre of jazz like the moon around the Earth and, while it's no revolution, it's never far off.

- DAN ZAK

Billy Mays Trio

*** 1/2

"Going Home" (Palmetto Records) Sounds like: Straight-ahead piano jazz and classical.

In "Going Home," everything manages to click for the Billy Mays Trio. It's a simple album in many ways, yet there's an unmistakably progressive sound on display here. While the genre of straight-ahead jazz is considered an easy route for any piano player, Mays injects a sense of real sentimentality into his work.

Every track of "Going Home" has the unmistakable theme of coming back to the familiars in life, from the opening track "Judy" (named after Mays' wife) to the upbeat number "Comin' Home Baby" and the only vocal track of the album, "I'm a Homebody." Few jazz musicians try to have a consistent theme in any body of work they put out due to the fickleness of their fans for "high concept." The Mays Trio breaks this taboo. While the post-bebop riffs sound unmistakably familiar, the songs as a whole are entirely original.

"Going Home" is an exceptionally warm album that stands before its listener not afraid to show its vulnerability. Yet it never lapses into the realm of "elevator music" by injecting time tested classical and avant-garde moments to hold the entire work together. There's a lot of personality on display hear worth seeking out.

- NEAL FERSKO

Fred Hersch Trio "+2" (Palmetto Records)

*** 1/2

Sounds like: Progressive jazz with piano and horns.

The seasoned Fred Hersch Trio effectively expands their horizons into the realm of quintet music in their newest album "+2." This new record has allowed the core of Hersch's past musical ideas and tendencies to be more fully realized with the part-time addition of trumpet player Ralph Alessi and tenor saxophonist Tony Malaby. Together they bring an old school bebop sound to balance Hersch's classical and free form influences. The individual tracks displayed here are separately realized, making for a varied but exhilarating musical experience.

Hersch's arrangement of the Beatles tune "And I Love Her" turns a nice early '60s pop tune into a more grandiose work thanks to his expert piano work. Perhaps the most enjoyable tune though has to be "Black Dog Takes a Visit," a fast-paced up-tempo piece that manipulates old stand bys of classical music. Overall, the Fred Hersch's new outfit has gallons of enthusiasm and chemistry worthy of any experienced jazz group currently out there.

- N.F.

Breather Resist "Only in the Morning" (Deathwish Inc.)

****

Sounds like: The best thing to happen to hardcore music in a long time.

Breather Resist proves that they are a force to be reckoned with on this album, exploding with full-throated screams, a chaotic sound and unrivaled energy. Following in the tradition of heavy math-rockers Botch, the foursome from Kentucky offers raging intensity and complex songs on their debut release, "Only in the Morning."

The eight-song album progresses with calculated speed and potency, serving up a relentless attack of frantic screaming and thrashing guitars. Maintaining constant fervor, the vocals are also dynamic with distinct highs and lows. Rightfully so, their first full-length release earned Breather Resist a name in the hardcore scene. With Jade Tree Records releasing their next album, expect bigger things from this band.

Overall, "Only in the Morning" is an inspired, energetic effort from an up and coming band. Breaking away from the monotony of generic hardcore bands, Breather Resist is a breath of fresh air.

- LAURA KAPLAN

Reggie & The Full Effect "Greatest Hits '84-'87" (Reissue) (Vagrant)

***

Sounds like: The best thing Vagrant has to offer.

A reissue of Reggie's (James Dewees from the Get Up Kids, Coalesce) debut outing seems questionable. Reissues are usually saved for records in dire need of remastering, like Neil Young's "On the Beach." Nonetheless, "Greatest Hits" is chock full of extra tracks pertaining to the recording session, new artwork and newly recorded "Lord of the Bling Trilogy" EP.

The new material on the disc is trademark Reggie; layers of keyboards, hilarious skits and pop hooks more infectious than Ebola. The highlight of the disc is the return of Hungary Bear - Sean Ingram of Coalesce whose character debuted on last year's Reggie release "Under the Tray" in "Apocalypse Wow!," a gripping hardcore meets new-wave anthem.

Hungary Bear shares vox duties with Reggie himself on chapter one of the "Bling" trilogy entitled "The Fellowship of the Bling." "Only With Me" and "Everyone Is Crazy," two tracks that have never seen stateside release, prove to be the highlight. And the cover of Slayer's "Reign in Blood" is all about bringing the mosh.

- COSTA CALOUDAS