Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Metro Brief

Senators, congressmen to run for Special Olympics team

Senators, congressmen, federal judges and journalists will be running to the finish line in the 23rd annual "American Council of Life Insurers Capital Challenge" May 5.

Over 600 representatives from all three branches of government and the media will be sweating their way through the 3-mile race in Anacostia Park to raise money for the D.C. Special Olympics.

"There will probably be 120-125 teams this year it looks like," said race founder Jeff Darman. "Sometimes we let people run as guests, so that adds to the numbers too."

Darman estimated that 28 members of Congress will run this year.

Each year the race raises between $12,000 and $14,000 for the D.C. Special Olympics. Teams make a donation in order to compete for titles such as "First Place Senator" and "Top Team Captain Over 70." Participants also get a free T-shirt.

For those teams that aren't up to par with their competitors, special awards are given out for best team name, worst team name and most team spirit. The CBS team won best team name last year with "What You C is no BS." Last year, the worst team name went to Sen. Jon Cornyn's team for "My Cornyn's are a Hurtin."

The race's title sponsor is the ACLI, a trade association of life insurance companies. Other sponsors include American Express Financial and Saucony.

The race will begin at 8 a.m. Students who will still be in the area can volunteer at the race and get a free T-shirt.

- EMILY CARONE