Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Program Adviser Kimlin leaves

New adviser hired, another soon to be chosen

Ernie Kimlin, who has been an AU program advisor for three years, resigned effective July 1 to take the role of assistant dean for campus life and administration at Brevard College in North Carolina.

Kimlin worked extensively with student groups through his job, even more so after program advisor Tracy Florence resigned during the Spring 2004 semester.

For most of his tenure at AU, Kimlin advised half of the student organizations. When Florence resigned, Kimlin picked up her duties as well.

"When Tracy left in early spring, I advised 130 organizations - it kept me busy," he said.

These organizations included all clubs and associations, the Student Confederation and the classes of 2006 and 2007.

SC Vice President Jason Trombley, who worked with Kimlin, said he was disappointed to see him go.

"[Kimlin] was one of those people who got me excited about programming - he was very open to ideas," said Trombley, who is in charge of the SC's programming, including Artemas Ward and Founder's Day celebrations, Eagle Nights and Homecoming.

Replacing Kimlin is Chris Tankersley, a 25-year-old graduate of the University of Akron, who started as AU's new program advisor July 1.

Tankersley said he is excited to work at AU because it is "a very high-energy school." He hopes to use the D.C. setting to work with students on new and different programming ideas.

During the summer Tankersley said he will try to absorb as much knowledge about the student organizations before students flock back this fall. Kimlin provided Tankersley with a guide to AU's various student-run programs.

"He gave me a step-by-step rundown on what the groups are," Tankersley said.

AU is also searching for another program adviser, according to SC President Polson Kanneth. Kanneth, along with other SC leaders, helped interview three candidates last week, according to Kennedy Political Union Director Emily Fuller. The second program adviser will be hired by the fall, Tankersley said.

Kanneth has met with Tankersley and has positive feelings on the new program advisor.

"He's a really nice guy who brings a lot of energy to Student Activities," Kanneth said.

A recent college graduate himself, Tankersley expressed confidence in being able to relate to AU students.

"I just really enjoy working with students in a college environment," Tankersley said.

Tankersley said he wants to be a resource to AU students involved in programming.

"I like to leave it up to the students - I'm just an advisor," he said, "Students have a better sense of what they want to get involved in."

Trombley, who will be working closely with Tankersley to help plan many AU programs and activities, said he will meet with the new adviser to lay down the groundwork for a successful school year.

"I'm hoping to develop a cool relationship with him," Trombley said.