Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Alumna named 'Heart hero'

The Heart of America Foundation named Brianne Schwantes, a 2003 graduate of AU, a National Hero of the Heart. The Heroes of the Heart program honors exemplary individuals who represent the "Heart of America," according to the program's Web site.

Two adults and one young adult are nominated each day from Sept. 19 to 25 for the D.C.-based Foundation's "Heart of America Week." They must demonstrate 10 core values, such as compassion, valor and responsibility, according to Colleen R. Noland, director of programs for the foundation.

Schwantes, who was born with thirteen broken bones, suffers from a rare bone disease called osteogenesis imperfecta, according to her biography at the Heart of America Foundation's Web site. Doctors told Schwantes' parents that she would never live a normal life and advised them to place her in an institution because she could break a bone at any time. Her parents chose to find another group of physicians and enrolled her in a new program for children with the disease.

While at AU, Schwantes' activities included being a member of the Delta Gamma sororit and, College Democrats, and being a resident assistant in Centennial Hall. She was also a founding member of the ice hockey team. After graduation, Schwantes acquired a job at Give Kids the World Village, an Orlando, Florida-based resort for children with life-threatening illnesses.

Her advice to students who may be experiencing what she has gone through is to "not let any opportunities pass you by."

"Stay positive and focused," Schwantes said. "There is nothing that you can't get past. ... You can find something positive out of everything."

A poster and essay contest for children kicks off this week to encourage students to demonstrate their commitment to social responsibility and community participation, according to the Foundation's Web site.

"Our mission is to teach people, especially youth, that they help themselves when they help others," Noland said. "One has to be able to give of themselves and serve others to develop yourself as a person."

William J. Halamandaris, president of the board of directors for the Heart of America Foundation, wrote a book entitled "Ten Core Values that Make Our Country Great," which highlights winners of the Heart of America awards, according to Noland.

Schwantes and nine other individuals were given their own section in the book explaining the ways they each reflect the core value of valor.

"It's exciting to think that I reflect one of the values that make our country great," Schwantes said.

More information about the Heart of America can be found at its Web site www.heartofamerica.org.