Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Delta Gamma raises money for blind people

AU's chapter of the Delta Gamma sorority will hold "Anchor Clanker" day on the Quad on Saturday to raise money for Service for Sight, a program for the blind and visually impaired.

The sorority has held Anchor Clanker day annually for about 10 years, according to Delta Gamma President Elizabeth Claps.

"Anchor Clanker will consist of typical field day events such as three-legged races, an egg toss, leap frog and tug-of-war," said Emily Strode, director of Anchor Clanker. "There will also be a DJ at the event."

There is also the Anchor Clanker man event, in which each team selects one man to dance to the DJ's music, Strode said. The Delta Gamma sisters then award the most enthusiastic man with the title "Anchor Clanker Man."

"This is the only event I've gone to in my three years at AU where I've seen the student body get together and show so much school spirit," Strode said. "It really goes against the stigma that all fraternities and sororities are bad."

On a national level, many chapters of Delta Gamma hold Anchor Splash day. Since AU doesn't have the facilities to do so, its chapter created the alternative, Anchor Clanker day, said Dan Kelley, coordinator of Greek Life at AU.

AU participants compete in teams of five for a fee of $50, Claps said. Each participant receives a complementary T-shirt.

To participate, teams have to register and turn in all forms by 2 p.m. Friday. Delta Gamma sisters will be tabling throughout the rest of the week in the Mary Graydon Center.

"Last year 20 teams signed up, so we had a total of 100 participants in addition to the Delta Gamma sisters," Strode said. "That made the total number of participants around 170 people."

Strode's goal is to raise at least $1,000. According to Claps, last year's event raised that amount.

First-year Delta Gamma sister Marissa Friedman said she likes the sorority and the event.

"Delta Gamma sisters seem very genuine," Friedman, a sophomore, said. "They really respect each other and Delta Gamma in general ... I joined because I wanted to experience the same things."

Strode said that though the event begins at noon, teams will register at 11:30 a.m. regardless of the weather.

"Rain or shine, the event will go on," Strode said. "Last year, we held Anchor Clanker the day after Hurricane Isabel and people said the Quad was a mess but it was a blast."

Upcoming Greek Life events include National Collegiate Alcohol Awareness Week starting Oct. 17, which promotes positive behavior when consuming alcohol and taking part in activities without alcohol.