Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Out of Context

Anecdotes from on campus and off

"This campus was an armpit when I got here."

- President Ben Ladner at a town hall meeting Wednesday evening in the University Club.

-

THE REAL WORLD D.C.: Backstabbing interns! Campaign management projects that ruin friendships! State dinners! A rumor has been coursing through campus that MTV's pioneering reality series is shooting season 16 in Adams Morgan. But don't rend your clothes because you missed applying for it-it's not happening. "No plans to shoot in D.C. at this time," said Real World publicist Eileen Quast in a blissfully brief e-mail Tuesday. Looks like we'll have to continue living in the real real world.

-

"GRAVE, GERMAN ACCENT seeks popular history class in which to speak." Sounds like Nobel laureate and former secretary of state Henry Kissinger will be a guest in Professor Peter Kuznick's class on Oliver Stone's America. Kuznick announced before his Wednesday night block that Kissinger will swing by sometime in October for a conversation. Eins, zwei, wunderbar!

-

THE COLLEGE REPUBLICANS and Students for Kerry held their kick-off events at the same time last night. They also held them in virtually the same place-Ward 1 and 2, respectively. Despite a bottleneck in the hallway that might have led to a partisan get down, both sides were civil and kept their war cries to themselves. Greek journalist Stelios Kouloglou of Reportage without Frontiers filmed the mingling of the Kerry camp and the GOP for a weekly hour-long current events show in Athens. Kouloglou's perception of the election was in contrast to the good behavior exhibited in Ward. "I followed the '96 and 2000 elections, and the atmosphere was more relaxed," said Kouloglou, who came to D.C. straight from the Republican National Convention. "Now I see there are two poles and they react to each other."

-

DEAR LANDMARK THEATRES, We heard about your student discounts at the E Street Cinema and Bethesda Row. We enthusiastically welcome the more reasonable $7.50 admission Monday through Friday with a valid student ID. The $9.25 theaters charge for first-run films is a tad steep, after all. Now, the question becomes: What do we do with the $1.75 we will save? Spend it on gum? Invest it in plastics? Or is this just a ruse to make us more likely to purchase that gooey bag of buttered popcorn for $8? We're on to you, Landmark.

-

SPEAKING OF E STREET, it's the theater that keeps on giving. Its weekend program Midnights on E Street started last week with the 1982 Jeff Bridges vehicle "Tron." Woody Allen's raucous science fiction parody will screen tomorrow and Saturday, but we're not sure at what time. Future features of Midnights on E Street include "Fast Times at Ridgemont High," "Hedwig and the Angry Inch," "Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn," "This is Spinal Tap" and a well-timed "The Nightmare Before Christmas" on Halloween weekend. No word on price or if the aforementioned student discount applies. Check www.landmarktheatres.com for program specifics.

-

95 DAYS, 14 HOURS, 36 MINUTES. That's how long J. Lo's latest marriage has lasted. Now that Lo and Marc Anthony are ready to pass their first 100 days, we'd like to know their agenda, their plan for the future. Children? A new yacht? An album collaboration? Though they may be going strong, a marriage can really benefit from a platform, though it appears that J. Lo's only platform are shoes.