Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Out of Context

Where anecdotes go to die

"It was going very well until Cheney unhinged his jaw and swallowed and slowly began digesting John Edwards."

- Jon Stewart, on the vice presidential debate, Tuesday on "The Daily Show."

-

Anyone see the College Democrats' flier for the vice presidential debate watch? It featured photos of John "Sunshine" Edwards and Dick "Destroyer" Cheney. Edwards has his hands pressed together, as if praying, and his concerned gaze is aimed toward the photo of Cheney - a close-up of the vice president's crooked-toothed sneer. "Come watch Good triumph over Evil with us!" the pink flyer entreated. Obviously Jon Stewart wasn't the only one who saw the predator-prey aspect of Edwards and Cheney's encounter.

-

On Monday, there was a little girl playing around the panda in front of Battelle-Tompkins. After some general little-girl banter with a friend, the girl settled into the panda's lap with a book. "Ah, this is the life!" she exulted, sprawling out on the panda's legs. Yes it is, little one. Enjoy it while it lasts. Soon you will become one of those manic, withdrawn college students who were passing by as you played Santa and his little helper with the panda.

-

Speaking of that very panda, it appears to be the only one on the Quad that does not have an identification plaque (see above anecdote). Upon further inspection, this nameless statue is the most bewildering and interesting of the bunch. Its belly is painted to look like it is cracked open, revealing a rendering of the Jefferson Memorial. On the panda's back is a large koi fish and a drawing of a monolithic mound of dirt and plant life - some sort of horticultural butte. Who knows what this means? It's like Salvador Dali, Stanley Kubrick and Martha Stewart collaborated on a panda.

-

Still ordering cheesesteaks via low-class takeout dives? For shame. Barclay Prime, an upscale restaurant in Philadelphia, is advertising a new version of the classic Philly cheesesteak - for a whopping $100 each. The cheesesteak comes complete with goose liver and truffles, and is served with a bottle of champagne. Apparently the restaurant thinks that people will be so excited about these uber-cheesesteaks that they will even buy a round for the table next to them, according to an article on CNN.com. Here's a question: Why not visit Philadelphia landmark Pat's King of Steaks and buy the original for $4?

-

Say it ain't so. After the cringe-worthy duet between Brian Wilson (still a genius) and Paul McCartney (former genius) on Wilson's recent album "Gettin' in over My Head," they are working together again, this time to release an entire album. Can you name a Wings song? Better yet, can you name a Wings song that wasn't covered by Axl Rose? Didn't think so. Remember the post-9/11 horror that was "Freedom"? Pretend this collaboration isn't happening and go buy last Tuesday's release "SMiLE instead. Best record of the year.

-

You're fired ... and you fail! A marketing class at Northern Illinois University is modeled on Donald Trump's reality series "The Apprentice," according to the Chicago Tribune. Students are taped as they perform weekly tasks, and their work is reviewed by two Trump stand-ins - NIU alumni who have their own companies. Evidently, their Trump-like behavior makes students cry. Kind of like our Gen Eds.

-

Seen Tuesday on Wisconsin Avenue: A motorcycle with diplomat tags. What ambassador jets around the District in a Harley? Answer: a super fly one.

- compiled by Costa Caloudas & Dan Zak.

weekend@theeagleonline.com