Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

The Hit List

1. The Magnetic Fields The band responsible for the critically acclaimed opus "69 Love Songs" is back on tour in support of its latest release, "i." The Fields will be in Alexandria at the Birchmere for two nights, Dec. 2 and 3. Buy tickets now, as the shows are sure to sell out. For more information, visit www.ticketmaster.com

2. Baked Cheetos Unlike the Marketplace's newest treat, most healthy imitations of junk food taste nothing like the original. But these Cheetos taste surprisingly like the real thing, and they seem to be unavailable anywhere besides the Marketplace.

3. 'The West Wing' "The West Wing" begins its sixth season at 9 p.m. Wednesday on NBC. The drama of last season's finale, which left the fate of Donna and Josh precariously hanging, will be enhanced by the addition of Jimmy Smits (sexy) and Alan Alda (not sexy) to the permanent cast.

4. Annette Bening The actress steps back into the limelight with "Being Julia," a film about a theatre diva who holds the West End in her velvet-gloved fist. Bening sashays through the movie with wit and grace, vamping her way from role to role and man to man. Julia's ambitious drive might make Carolyn Burnham blush. Opens in D.C. Oct. 29.

5. The Futureheads What happens when you have four singers and four microphones? Beautiful, manic, organized a capella chaos that cites everything from Fugazi to Elvis Costello. The self-titled debut by these Franz Ferdinand tour-mates drops on Oct. 26 on Sire Records. These guys are going places.

-Compiled by The Scene staff.