Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Phi Mu chooses Big Man on Campus

Winners raise money

Pat Intindola, a junior Pi Kappa Phi brother who stands 5 feet 10 inches tall, is this year's "Big Man on Campus." That is, he's the winner of Phi Mu sorority's annual event that raises money for the Children's Miracle Network.

The contest allows organizations to nominate a male student. Then, students have 10 days to submit one vote for 50 cents or three votes for $1 for the man they'd like to see crowned Big Man on Campus.

"We send nomination forms to different organizations around campus such as greek organizations, the RHA and other various clubs," said Jessica Jasper, a junior and second-year Phi Mu member.

This year, the final tally of votes between the 11 "big men" nominees was very close, according to event planner Marissa Labate, a junior and second-year Phi Mu pledge.

"It came down to the very last minute. ... It was very exciting," she said.

The sorority announced the winner in the Tavern, shortly after voting closed at 8 p.m.

"I am so happy for the kids to get the money we raised," Intindola, a School of Communication student, said. "I am excited about my win."

When Phi Mu tabled, Intindola campaigned nearby, passing out stickers, buttons and posters bearing his name and picture.

"I am even auctioning off a date with myself," Intindola said. "All the money that I raise is going directly to the Children's Miracle Network."

Phi Mu raised $1,600 this year, beating its goal of $1,500, according to Labate.

The money raised will be given to the D.C. Children's Hospital, a division of the Children's Miracle Network, for stuffed animals, games, activities and clothes, according to Melanie Castle, a junior and second-year Phi Mu member.

"Basically the money will go towards things to make the soul feel better and to make the children happy," Jasper said.

Other participants were also pleased with the outcome of the event.

Vince Procacci, a junior in the School of International Service and Sigma Chi fraternity member, came in second place.

"I am excited about coming in second place," Procacci said. "I thought I would've pulled ahead in the end, but I am happy that it all went to charity for a great cause."

Rick Cohen, a senior in SOC, came in third place and was excited about his finish. "I am very happy and very surprised about coming in third place because I was the only nominee with no fraternity backing," he said. "I'd like to thank anyone who voted for me ultimately for a good cause."

Intindola received a $50 gift certificate to Bon Appetito restaurant and two additional $25 certificates. Procacci received two $25 dollar gift certificates, including one for Maggiano's.

The sorority was also pleased with the event, even though it kept them tabling on the Quad during cold weather.

"Despite the inclement weather, I think this year's event went really well," Labate said. "All of the guys were really different and interesting people."

Phi Mu has been a corporate sponsor of Children's Miracle Network Champions since 1986. All Phi Mu sororities nationwide have the Children's Miracle Network as their national philanthropy. The charity helps terminally ill children with diseases such as cancer and other rare blood disorders. Nationally, the sorority has raised more than $3.4 million for the Children's Miracle Network in the past 18 years.