Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

The Hit List

Five things worthy of your time

1. Jettie's

This sandwich shop is a magnet for WASPs, but the food is so good that it's worth it to brave the mass of Lacoste shirts and North Face fleeces - not to mention the Cape Cod prices. But they deliver! 1609 Foxhall Road, (202) 965-FOOD.

2. cakelove & lovecafe

Keeping up with The Eagle's offerings of food-related activities this week, we say, "Let them eat cake." The duo food spots deliver the most delectable baked treats this side of the Potomac. They're at 1501 U St., just beyond the Black Cat.

3. Slate.com's Guide to Ex-Patriotism

Slate shows depressed blue-staters how to blow this Republican popsicle stand and head for our Canadian neighbor. The article offers insight into the magical land of Canada, and a way of determining whether or not we Yanks are suited for the Arctic. No death penalty, legal gay marriage and pot, and hardly any guns? Where do we sign up? http://slate.msn.com/id/2109300/

4. 'MADtv'

Congratulations to the show that has thrived during 10 years of audience negligence. With new episodes on Fox on Saturday nights, and reruns on Comedy Central almost daily, "Saturday Night Live" should have ample opportunity to see how the pros do it.

5. Closely Watched Films

Frank Turaj, the venerable curmudgeon of the Literature Department, is finally teaching a class on film next semester. An authority on Polish cinema and former film editor and reviewer for Washingtonian Magazine, Turaj usually teaches American lit courses. Sign up for LIT-436-002 and witness one of the last bastions of conservative professorship at AU.

- Compiled by The Scene staff