Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

The Hit List

1. Bright Eyes Da bomb whiner Conor Oberst has secured the No. 1 and 2 spots on the Billboard Hot 100 singles chart. He released two songs last Tuesday from his upcoming two-album release in January - "Lua," an awful anthem about hanging out with actors and being famous; and "Take It Easy (Love Nothing)," a crazy-awesome sound collage with cathartic electro-pop. Take that, Usher.

2. 'The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie': Music From the Movie and More... With songs from cooler-than-cool bands like the Flaming Lips, Ween, Wilco and the "life-changing" Shins, the soundtrack to "The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie" is a must-own for any fan of college rock. The lyrics actually relate to what's going on in the movie, like the Flaming Lips' "SpongeBob and Patrick Meet the Psychic Wall of Energy." However, the best song on the disc comes from SpongeBob himself with "The Best Day Ever," a Beach Boys-esque romp of feel-so-good-ness.

3. G.T. Players This Georgetown hip-hop clothing store is just straight dope. Buy fresh kicks, jerseys and mesh shorts in exclusive colors where all the famous rappers and B-ball stars do when they come to D.C. Even "Bad Boys 2" actress Gabrielle Union and Orlando Magic guard Steve Francis were separately spotted at the Wisconsin Avenue store over the summer picking up some hot threads. Shop at G.T. Players and be a true playa for real.

4. 'The Rise and Fall of ECW' This is the posthumous chronology of the most hardcore wrestling federation ever. It was bloody and brutal but most of all, it was entertaining. This DVD, released on Tuesday, has more than six hours of footage, including a documentary-style feature with interviews from everyone who was there. Also included are bonus matches featuring Sabu, Raven, Tommy Dreamer, the Sandman and more.

5. Badly Drawn Boy One of the best parts of the totally kick-ass movie "About a Boy" was the soundtrack scored by none other than Damon Gough, aka Badly Drawn Boy. He's way cuter than Hugh Grant anyway. Catch him live at the 9:30 club on Wednesday.

- Compiled by The Scene staff.