Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Tribe Called Quest returns from hiatus in Calif.

ANAHEIM, Calif. - You might just rock your bells loose.

The fresh smell of the grills, coupled with a cloudless evening, made for an ideal atmosphere to put on the greatest hip-hop festival lineup in years. Taking place at the Angel Stadium parking lot on Saturday, Guerilla Union gathered together an eclectic mix of elite hip-hop groups, including icons A Tribe Called Quest, who were putting on their first show in more than five years.

The festivities lasted all day long. Starting with wordsmith Self Scientific and the Crown City Rockers (formally known as Mission), the lineup only got better from there. A few more opening acts such as the rising Little Brother and the CMA took place before a dark cloud strolled lazily through the hearts of everyone in attendance when the death of Ol' Dirty Bastard was announced. After a moment of silence, the dedication of this show to ODB commenced, and the music continued.

The crowd went wild as emcee Supernatural free-styled his entire set from the top of his mind to the tip of his tongue. Requesting the crowd hold up any random item they could, Supernat would spit a flow about it, including one about the bald head of the nearest security guard.

Dr. Greenthumb and the rest of the classic group Cypress Hill came out soon after blazing their old school tracks with style. With the assistance of a giant air-filled Buddha with a mysterious seven-pronged leaf on his belly, they roused the crowd playing tracks like "Insane in the Brain" and the infamous "Hit from the Bong."

The new school rappers, holding down the old school style, rocked the bells next. Jurassic 5 kept the crowd screaming, playing tracks from all their original albums like "Quality Control" and "The EP."

The Cut Chemist and DJ Numark then came out to battle. Chemist had a single turntable and alternator strapped around his neck, with Numark holding down the beat machine, also around his neck. The two renowned DJs worked off each other creating complex rhythms and beats making the crowd go wild.

A Tribe Called Quest wasn't the only reuniting act that night. J-Ro and E-Swift of the Alcoholics made a surprise appearance putting on a crazy set with their long-time partner and friend, Xzibit. When they played their songs and gave a thank you, the crowd waited anxiously for the Tribe.

Some have never seen them before, others have in the past but never thought it would happen again. With an extended waiting time, thoughts were brewing that it might be too good to be true. Then out came the four members of Tribe: Q-tip, Phife, Jenobli and Ali Shaheed Muhammad. They all gave one another a hug, looked at the crowd with satisfaction, and began the show.

They had special guests the X-Clan and Special Ed to start, and they gave the crowd a wild show. They played classic tracks such as "Scenerio" and "Award Tour" and other songs from all of their albums. But wait, who is this mysterious man walking nonchalantly onto the stage? None other but the mighty Mos Def, who made a special guest appearance to add to a set many people will remember forever. A Tribe Called Quest finally reunited for one of the most blazing concerts ever. This was a night hip-hop will remember.