Friday, Oct. 18, 2024

Campus Brief: Library open longer, AUTO goes to airports

The library will stay open from 8 a.m. on Tuesday to midnight on Dec. 17 to offer students more time to study there for finals. The Student Confederation will contribute approximately $2,000 to help fund the extra hours of operation, said SC President Polson Kanneth.

"The students requested 24-hour access, and the Student Confederation helped make it happen by contributing financially," said librarian Patricia Wand. "Student input is vital to the library, and I am pleased that the students worked so diligently with the library to achieve this goal."

Reserves, periodicals, circulation, copy center and media services sections will remain open during these days until midnight. The reference desk will close at 10 p.m. The information desk will be staffed between midnight and 8 a.m., and the self-checkout machine will be available.

Between midnight and 8 a.m., students must present ID and sign in and out at the information desk.

The library will also extend hours to 8 a.m. until midnight on Friday, and from 9 a.m. to midnight on Saturday and Dec. 18.

The AU Transit Organization will provide transportation to Montgomery Mall this Saturday and Sunday. Between 10 a.m. and 1:30 p.m., three to four vans will transport students to the mall, and the last van will return to campus at 3 p.m. Buses will leave and drop off passengers in front of the UPS Store.

AUTO also offers transportation to all three local airports during winter break. Students can e-mail airports@studentconfederation.org with their flight information. Kanneth said AUTO can better accommodate students who send their information early.

The SC and Student Activities will celebrate what they have accomplished this semester at a holiday open house on Monday, Kanneth said. The university community is invited to stop by for cookies, brownies, hot chocolate and other snacks from 3 to 5 p.m. in Mary Graydon Center 271.

"We're celebrating a semester of success," Kanneth said. "We want the students to know about everything we've done to let them know that student government has been working for them"