Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

'Brave' new band plays hot set

The Bravery defined sex, glam, and sweat in Baltimore Friday night, playing their painfully short 45-minute set to a swooning crowd at Baltimore's Fletchers bar. The band has a recently built reputation to uphold, with "Band to Watch in 2005" splayed over every performance and mention of their name.

Sam Endicott, the lead singer, and Mike H., the bassist, both have perfectly sculpted, mohawk-like coifs, impeccably etched eyeliner and snug-fitting ensembles. The bulk of the Bravery's stage presence is owed to these outstanding performers. They emitted sweat and spit onto the hoard of eager fans at the stage front, and Mike H. ended the set with a passionate spattering of Bud Light onto the crowd, prompting a tarp to be placed on the stage right mixing board. Another high point occurred when Mike H. leaned over to lay an affectionate peck on his band-mate's cheek.

The band's natural and successful execution of its set is helped by its slough of glam-filled synth-rock tracks. Its first self-titled album is slated for release on March 29, which gives the band leeway to play to almost zero expectations. Its songs fit the band's sensual mood, with lyrics primarily about unfaithfulness and dishonesty: "Forgive me if I'm out of line / I can't control myself sometimes," "Hey sweet Eliza / remember me? / I'm a liar, but not a cheat," and "I don't see no ring on these ringers," are several of the lyrics Endicott uttered during the set. The band's first United Kingdom single, "Unconditional," was hugely successful on stage, while "Honest Mistake", its soon-to-be-released first U.S. single, featured Endicott's vocal range and a showcase of lead guitarist Michael Zakarin's skills.

The crowd was enthusiastic to witness various stages of undress, a successful preview of the album, and the over-consumption of several brands of beer. The Bravery then left everyone to reluctantly part ways with the stage, their loins quivering with the thought of electric blue makeup, thrusting pelvises and erratic synthesizer lines.