Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

The Hit List: Girls Gone Wild to Slim Jims

1. Cookie Dough Pop-Tarts Imagine the sweet bliss of chocolate chip cookie dough in the convenient Pop-Tart format. Now shake that dream away and unwrap the shiny foil on this snack-time revolution. Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pop-Tarts are the newest of the 32 flavors savored by American children, college students and neglected senior citizens. Tastebuds everywhere scream in squeaky little voices, "It's a hit!"

2. Girls Gone Wild Vol. 3 There is sincere, overwhelming doubt that anyone could actually find arousal in this edition of the exploitive and just silly Girls Gone Wild series. A skuzzy behind-the-camera guy convinces women to expose themselves or have sex with each other for a Girls Gone Wild tank top (not available in stores.) On winter nights it's hilarious to sit with friends and laugh at the ridiculousness of it all-Girls Gone Wild, awkward lesbian sex, men, women and society.

3. "Nine Queens" This fantastic and under-the-radar 2000 film from Argentine director Fabi n Bielinsky is set in Buenos Aires but feels like it could be anywhere. A slice of life look at two small-time crooks who find themselves in the thick of a scheme way over their heads, "Nine Queens" makes you laugh while it makes you think. Though the movie is in Spanish, it is available with English subtitles and for free in the library.

4. Slim Jims Though this delicious carnivorous delight has been around for ages, it has never altered its recipe. In an age where there are more flavors for basic things like coffee and M&Ms than anyone would deem necessary, the glorious Slim Jim has remained true to its heritage and our taste buds. On behalf of broke and hungry college students everywhere, we salute you, Slim Jim, and former spokesman, "Macho Man" Randy Savage. Snap into a Slim Jim!

5. Johnny Rockets Okay, so it's another chain restaurant, but really, it's so much more. Defying all chain stereotypes, the Johnny Rockets on M Street in Georgetown manages to be both homey and nostalgic without saccharine sweetness. On top of being served by a friendly wait staff that will dance to "YMCA" when played on the jukebox, patrons can enjoy some of the tastiest burgers in town, which happen to also be the cheapest. A full meal for two will generally run about $15 and is well worth every penny.

-Compiled by The Scene staff.