Call for D.C. voting rights returns to Congress

Delegate Eleanor Holmes Norton (D-D.C.) and Sen. Joseph Lieberman (D-Conn.) introduced a bill that would grant the District full voting rights.

Similar initiatives had been introduced and shot down in 2001 and 2003.

At a press conference last week, Norton, Lieberman, an Iraqi-American and two local Iraq war veterans showed support for the bill.

The two soldiers spoke about the irony of helping build a democracy with voting rights in Iraq, and then coming home to a city where they don't have congressional representation.

Lieberman echoed their sentiments. "In Washington, D.C., the capitol of the world's most powerful country, which ... stands most for freedom and democracy ... you cannot cast a vote. That is wrong," said Lieberman, The Washington Post reported.

D.C. hasn't had congressional representation since 1995 and has never had a vote in the Senate. Norton and a shadow senate delegation represent the city in committees, but can't participate in a full vote.

The No Taxation Without Representation Act of 2005 would give D.C. the same voting rights as a state, including representation in the House and Senate.

Norton is cautiously optimistic about the bill, said her spokeswoman, Doxie McCoy.

"We have the realities of the makeup of Congress," McCoy said. "It's Republican, and Republicans have stated they are not in favor of it."

McCoy added that some Republicans support the bill, but the Republican leadership needs to bring the issue forward.

"There's been no indication of that happening, but we hold out hope," she said.

A poll conducted by D.C. Vote, a voting rights advocacy group, from Jan. 14 to 16 found there is strong national and bipartisan support for D.C. voting rights. Of the 1,007 people polled, 82 percent said they feel District residents should have full voting rights.

The poll also found that 78 percent of Americans didn't know the District doesn't have equal voting rights. McCoy said the strong support for District voting rights and lack of knowledge about the issue makes the poll encouraging and discouraging.

"It's all about education, all about more Americans becoming aware," she said. "And if we the D.C. activists can push them into action, to write a letter or make a phone call, to join our cause, it brings more Americans to our side, which leads to more congressman on our side."

The poll found that 35 percent of people who visited the District were aware D.C. did not have full voting rights. Most of them had seen the motto "No taxation without representation" on D.C. license plates.

"The success of D.C.'s 'Taxation Without Representation' license plate and awareness campaign shows that a simple message, propelled by word-of-mouth advertising, is really effective at educating Americans," said Ilir Zherka, executive director of D.C. Vote, in a press release.

The motto is so popular that the D.C. Council passed a bill in 2003 that would add it to the D.C. flag.

McCoy said college students could also help spread the word about D.C. voting rights.

"There are some students who go back home and see the full rights they have, and realize people they live side by side with have no rights," she said. "Hopefully it sparks them to get involved also"