Candidate starts write-in campaign for SC secretary

Posted Feb. 26, 2005.

Zach Silverman launched a write-in campaign for SC secretary as a candidate with no SC experience who could "bring a personality to the table that is unique." ÿ "There's a lot of people running in these elections ... that aren't representing the entire student body," said Silverman, a sophomore in the School of International Service and Alpha Epsilon Pi member. ÿ "I plan to bring more communication to campus, bring more AUTO outings, strengthen communication regarding on campus events, and more than anything serve as a positive image and face on this campus and bring even more prestige than what already exists to the SC," he said. ÿ He decided to run when the only former candidate for the position, Kevin Gilnack, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, withdrew from the race. ÿ "I felt this was the time that someone should step up," Silverman said. ÿ He said he hadn't run before as an official candidate because he was unsure about his time commitments and was considering going abroad. ÿ Silverman said he's talked to the other candidates and won their support. ÿ "I've made it a goal of mine in the past 24 hours to speak to all the candidates," he said. "[The other candidates] offered me a great deal of encouragement and wish I declared from the onset." ÿ Silverman said he's been a leader in activities in high school and in his fraternity. ÿ He said he relates well to most of the student population. ÿ "I am a candidate of the people for the people, and plan to use the next year as a way to represent those same people"