Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Come on down to South Park for a fifth (season) time

New 'South Park' DVD perfect for those who love the offensive

The people most offended by "South Park" have never watched it. OK, out of context the plot idea of a mother attempting to murder her son after finding out that her husband has been visiting porn theaters and gay bathhouses might not sound very Disney. Heck, in context it's pretty messed up too, but the simple truth is that Trey Parker and Matt Stone's cartoon is offensive to the point where it's difficult to be offended. As a matter of fact, it's funny shtuff.

The latest "South Park" DVD features 14 episodes from season five, including such classic moments as the arrival of Towelie, Butters' very own episode, Cartman's sadistic revenge on Scott Tenorman and the awesome battle between Jesus Christ (with the Super Best Friends) and David Blaine. This is also the season where Kenny is killed off "permanently" and Butters' way is paved to be the new friend of Stan, Kyle and Cartman.

The great thing about "South Park" is the way each show, no matter how shocking or absurd, ends with some moral conclusion. In one episode the sh-word is used 162 times, tallied on a corner of the screen, and then condemned as a lame way to boost television ratings. In another, the show offers support for stem cell research with a plot that includes Cartman collecting and selling aborted fetuses and Kenny dying in a hospital.

Perhaps Parker and Stone's greatest strength is their ability to balance smart, ironic and on-point stories with hefty doses of immaturity and insanity. "South Park" time and time again proves to only be stupid at face value.

The quality of the DVD transfer is average. You can often see the jaggies, but it's nothing to get overly upset about. The audio is likewise decent in a standard kind of way.

Bonus features on the DVD are unfortunately sparse. In fact, all it has are mini-commentaries from Parker and Stone. These are admittedly both funny and informative, but at the same time don't last much longer than the first commercial break of each episode.

"South Park: The Complete Fifth Season" is a must-have for any true fan of the show. The episodes within are all classics, and for $35 you're getting your money's worth. The only other real advice I can offer you comes from Towelie: "Don't forget to bring a towel"