Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

National Brief: Pants below the waist still OK in Va.

The Virginia Senate struck down a bill Thursday that would fine people whose underwear showed above their pants.

The law would fine $50 to anyone who "intentionally wears and displays his below-waist undergarments, intended to cover a person's intimate parts, in a lewd or indecent manner."

The law was aimed at young people who show off thongs or wear baggy pants that are slung below their boxers. Delegate Algie T. Howell introduced the bill, saying in a statement that the bill was "in direct response to a number of my constituents who found this to be a very important issue to them."

The bill was originally passed in the Virginia Congress by a vote of 60-34 on Feb. 8. After its initial success, it was referred to the Senate Courts of Justice Committee, which held a special session to deal with the bill on Thursday.

The senators in the committee struck down the bill unanimously, saying it caused national and international embarrassment. Articles about the law appeared in foreign news services such as the BBC and The Times of India.

"For me to see on national TV networks, on international news networks and the written media that this is what is being associated with the Commonwealth of Virginia, I just find to be unacceptable," Virginia Sen. Thomas K. Norment Jr. said, according to The Washington Times.

"Here we are known internationally about dealing with a piece of legislation about how low your britches are riding"