Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Out of Context

"No, we're not corporate. You should see our headquarters. We're hip, we're all on skateboards." -staffer for Ruckus.com, the new music service available at AU

And you thought the ice cream bar was the best thing to hit the elegant Terrace Dining Room this semester. Without even swiping a precious meal block, diners were treated to a display of shameless marketing for Ruckus, the new now-you-have-to-pay-for-what-you-used-to-get-for-free music downloading service. Break-dancers were doing their thing in the TDR entrance, taking up so much room that hungry students had to wait for a break in the set to enter or exit the area in front of the golden elevators. We can only hope the online music service won't stand in the way of our dinners.

Oh, the wonders a meal swipe will provide. One Scene staff member was fulfilling her daily Chik-Fil-A quota and sat down to lovingly assemble her chicken sandwich. After pulling the top bun and the slimy pickles off of the meat, she noticed one very spectacular aspect to her sandwich. The chicken patty very closely resembled a heart! Right in time for Valentine's Day, too! A photographic image would be available, except she ate it. It was like a Virgin Mary sighting or getting stigmata.

It is the end of an era. Virginia lawmaker Algie Howell, 67, has launched a bill, now passed by the Virginia legislature, outlawing saggy trousers. According to the bill, any person who "exposes his below-waist undergarments in an offensive manner" can be subject to a $50 fine. A similar bill in Louisiana poses a $500 fine, six months in jail, or both. The bills are causing quite a hulabaloo among those crazy youth of our nation, as well as making the papers in Britain, Australia and pretty much every other two-bit newspaper in the world, all sporting snappy puns about underwear and pants.

Apparently Disney thinks that it's a good idea to bring back its once-successful franchise "The Mighty Ducks." This time the team is all grown up, and Emilio Estevez reprises his role as Gordon Bombay, leading the team against old rivals Team Iceland. A subject line from IMDB.com's message board sums up the film: "Why?"

According to a Men's Health magazine study titled "The Best and Worst Cities for Men," Washington, D.C., ranks rather highly (and rather limply) in a number of areas. For instance, D.C. is the second "baldest" city in America. Washington is also the second "limpest" city, based on erectile-dysfunction diagnosis statistics. So in a city filled with balding, flaccid men, how does it function as the numero uno destination for "babes," as the study also noted? All these "cute, congressional interns," single and armed with college educations, must have a soft spot for strong personalities.

An update on the kamikaze text-messaging mothers: the most recent message came from one exasperated mother to a troubled student: "waiting in front of motorcycle shop for Dad. Midlife crisis I think. He shaved his head"