Sole secretary candidate drops out

The only candidate for Student Government secretary withdrew from the race Wednesday, leaving the position open for a write-in candidate or a presidential appointment.

Kevin Gilnack, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, said he withdrew because he could not be at AU over the summer for personal reasons and would be unable to fulfill the duties of secretary during that time.

During the summer, the secretary manages daily office operations, updates the student government Web site and prepares the First Step magazine, which is given to incoming freshmen.

Gilnack said that after talking to current secretary Jamie Rea and director of Student Activities Karen Gerlach, he determined "it has become clear that in the interest of continuity and legitimacy for the incoming student government ... I must withdraw," in an e-mail to campus media.

A write-in candidate can fill the position by winning at least 10 percent of the vote in the elections Feb. 26-28.

Write-in candidates must abide by all the same campaign rules as other candidates, according to Hye-Jin Lee, chair of the Board of Elections. These rules include specific limitations on expenditures, the dimensions of chalkings and postering.

If no one wins 10 percent, the new SC president will appoint a secretary after transition in April.

Gilnack is the third candidate to drop out of the race. Former vice presidential candidate Jordan Landry, a junior in SPA, withdrew Feb. 16 and former comptroller candidate Amy Klinger, a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Kogod School of Business, withdrew Feb. 21.

Lee said the string of resignations could indicate apathy toward student politics, but she won't know until voting day.

"I can't say that there's a general trend, [but] ... I think there are certain years in the Student Confederation when it's a politically apathetic year. We won't know if this is one of them until the ... polls close and we see how many voters came out."

She said she respects the candidate's decisions because they've been made in the interest of the student body.

"If a person feels like they're not going to be able to fulfill [duties of the position] for their constituents, I feel that's reason enough for them to drop out."

For more information on Student Government candidates and The Eagle's endorsements see Pages 5 and 6.

College Republicans Endorsements

The College Republicans endorsed the following candidates for Student Government executives last night:

President: James Gardner, a junior in the School of Public Affairs and director of the Student Advocacy Center.

Vice President: Adam Rosenblatt, a sophomore in SPA and chair of the General Assembly's Academic Review Committee. The Screaming Eagles endorsed Rosenblatt earlier this week.

Comptroller: Ali Khan, a junior in the Kogod School of Business and associate comptroller. The Screaming Eagles and College Democrats endorsed Khan earlier this week.

See The Eagle's endorsements and statements from the candidates in the Opinions section.