Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Students start off Black History Month

Speaker, gospel choir acknowledge accomplishments of blacks in U.S.

The Black Student Alliance kicked off Black History Month at AU on Tuesday with a speaker commenting on "The Essence of Blackness," this month's theme.

Keynote speaker Todd Robinson, an AU history professor and '95 alumnus, said that during a trip to the barbershop he realized that the essence of blackness could not be defined in just one word or phrase.

"The essence of blackness is so many things - it's traditions, it's consciousness," Robinson said.

Robinson continued by recalling what descendents of slaves have called themselves since the end of the Civil War. He explained that many have identified with the names Negro, colored, black and African-American.

"Names are only convention signs for defining. Names don't define anything," said Robinson, citing pre-Civil Rights-era pioneer, author and scholar W.E.B. DuBois.

Robinson ended by emphasizing to the audience that African-Americans are more than just a name and need a greater consciousness.

Black History Month is a time to appreciate the contributions that blacks have made and remind Americans about modern inequalities in society, Robinson said.

"Black History Month is not only about celebrating the accomplishments of African-Americans; it is also about celebrating how far the African-American community has come," said Jeff Poulard, a freshman in the School of Public Affairs.

Melva Jones, a Multicultural Affairs staff member who is organizing the month, said AU has a diverse amount of programming planned for the coming weeks, including movie nights and dance lessons.

"Hear My Voice," an event featuring several black authors and sponsored by the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People, will take place in the Gianni Lounge at 6:30 p.m. tomorrow.

Other events include community service, open mic, and discussions on identity, sexuality and religion through the lens of race. A number of groups on and off campus are sponsoring the events, including the NAACP, Black Student Alliance, Sigma Pi and Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Martha's Table, Kay Spiritual Life Center, Whitman Walker Clinic, College of Arts and Sciences and the Community Service Center.

Carter Woodson, the son of two slaves, established Negro History Week in February 1926. It expanded to Black History Month in the 1960s.

For information on Black History Month events, see app.calendar.rrc.dc.gov. For more information on events and opportunities to participate on campus, see www.american.edu/ocl/ma and the Campus Calendar in the Monday edition of The Eagle.