Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Allen's new film falls short

Yes, Woody Allen is still making movies. And while most agree that his latest flicks haven't been at the same level as earlier classics "Annie Hall," "Sleeper" and "Play It Again Sam," Allen continues undeterred with a new movie just about every year. "Melinda and Melinda" is his latest, and while it has some great acting performances and a clever premise, the film lacks the polish to be memorable.

"Melinda and Melinda" begins at a restaurant table, where two snooty New York playwrights are engaged in argument over whether tragedy or comedy makes for a better story. After a friend tells them the rough details of a story, the two explain how they would write it into a play, one focusing on the drama and the other the humor. From here the movie switches a bit jerkily between two separate stories, which both involve a woman named Melinda's (Radha Mitchell) haphazard entrance into a dinner party.

In the tragedy, Melinda is a desperate divorcee fighting for a little peace of mind. For this Melinda, every opportunity soon becomes just another disappointment. In the comedy, she is the cute neighbor of Hobie (Will Ferrell) and his detached wife Susan (Amanda Peet). While Susan pushes her feminist movie brainchild "The Castration Sonata," Hobie finds himself falling for Melinda.

And this is where the main problem arises: Woody Allen is at heart a comedy writer. While the tragic storyline is somewhat interesting, it is the comedic parallel that really shines in "Melinda." The drama feels a bit forced, and it's always a relief when the movie switches back to the comically distraught Hobie. Also disappointing is the overwhelming disconnectedness of the two stories. The script simply feels rushed. While there are parallels scattered here and there, one wishes Allen spent more time building the film's foundation.

Still, "Melinda and Melinda" is not a terrible movie. Allen shows off his flair for sharp dialog in "Melinda," and while he does not act in the film, he writes some genuinely amusing lines for his cast.

Funnyman Ferrell truly stands out, and his character Hobie is perhaps the most likable of the entire cast. A bit more restrained than he was in "Anchorman" and "Old School," Ferrell is exceptional as the nervous and somewhat confused guy Allen himself would normally play.

Mitchell is also excellent, playing the two Melindas differently enough that there's no question which playwright's Melinda is on the screen.

"Melinda and Melinda" is a movie with a great premise and solid acting, but is ultimately undeveloped in execution. There is much to like, but as with the majority of Allen's recent works, "Melinda" lacks the extra magic to make it great.