Chemical treatment helps lessen lead in D.C. water

A newly implemented water treatment process has led to a decline in the lead levels in local drinking water, according to The Washington Post.

In August, the D.C. Water and Sewer Authority implemented the process, which uses the chemical orthophosphate, according to the assistant to the general manager at WASA, Johnnie Hemphill Jr.

Hemphill said that it became apparent in recent months that WASA needed to "re-evaluate the treatment process" previously used. Orthophosphate was recommended in order to prevent corrosion and leaks in the water pipes.

While this is good news for residents in the D.C. area, not all are taking advantage of the orthophosphate chemical treatment process. Hemphill said there are many different factors contributing to this lack of use, even though there are no known harmful effects to orthophosphate.

He said the chemical is a food additive, and the only effect residents should see in their water is a slight red color that sometimes occurs upon introduction of orthophosphate into the water system. The process can also be expensive for District residents.

Lead has also had an effect on AU's water. After last year's announcement of possible problems, a series of tests were done around campus, according to Willy Suter, director of Physical Plant Operations. AU is now working with a consulting firm to determine the frequency and what type of sampling program the University will use.

"We discovered we had similar problems," Suter said. "[So] we hired an environmental consulting firm to come up with testing protocol for the campus."

The plan as implemented by the firm, Suter explained, is ongoing and will take years to fully develop. This plan was not necessarily in response to WASA's announcements, but to replace water piping that is "reaching the end of its useful life," Suter said.

One way that AU is combating the lead in the water is through the filters placed on the faucets in all the residence halls this past year. Suter said these filters sort out a number of substances, including lead.

The AU campus was tested again after the recent announcement at places that have previously had high ratings of lead. The results from those tests have not changed significantly.

Freshman Laura Deal uses a Brita pitcher with a built-in filter. She said she uses it because "water from the tap tastes weird." She said she did not believe the water is unsafe.

Laura Reznick, a sophomore, said she avoids drinking tap water on campus.

"Sometimes I use it to take medicine or brush my teeth, or take an occasional drink of water if I am desperate," she said. "It is probably OK for that, but I would not drink a glass of tap water here."

While the filter system is working at AU, Suter said that the small devices are stolen from the residence halls on a regular basis.

"We consider it vandalism," Suter said.

An under-the-counter filter system is also being considered to reduce the crime.

Even with the filters in place, Suter recommended that students run the water faucets in residence halls for one minute before using the water for cooking or drinking.