Freshmen athletes anticipate tough transfers

After the Athletics Department cut the golf and tennis teams last week, the teams' freshman athletes say they are feeling particularly affected.

After committing four years to AU less than one year ago, some are at a loss for a course of action.

"I am in no way, shape or form ready to make this big of a decision right now, especially with midterms coming up. The timing was awful," said freshman golfer Billy Lacey. "At this point I have no idea what I'm going to do and where I'm going to go. It's a traumatizing experience."

Lacey added that despite the impact of the decision on his life, the school does not facilitate his upcoming options, including transferring, which would be difficult on a number of levels.

"College in general is tough - having to meet new people, having to get used to a new environment is difficult in and of itself," he said. "But when the school turns around and pulls the rug out from under us, it's ridiculous."

However, AU Athletics will do everything in its power to support a smooth transition for athletes and coaches to a new school, Athletic Director Joni Comstock said in an interview last Friday.

Many freshmen find themselves scrambling to meet transfer deadlines for other schools that can be as early as March 1. For example, at AU the deadline for transfer applications is July 1, but the priority deadline for financial aid and scholarship consideration is March 1.

Athletes are given special consideration when transferring, though athletes still need to find a school that is compatible with their academic needs and has room on its roster and a likeable coach.

"Transferring will be like starting as a freshman at a new school, and it was tough to adjust to a new school the first time," said freshman tennis player Emily Anderson. "I made all these friends here, and I expected it to be so much better."

Anderson, who is from Florida, said that she is considering a number of schools all over the country. She added that transferring would be tough after her AU experience.

"I signed a contract and I was expecting to have lifelong friendships with these people and play for four years," Anderson said. "I'm really disappointed, I don't really want to leave next year."

While the transfer deadlines and compatibility issues may pose problems, some freshman see it as the only option.

"I never felt I was treated in the right way by the University," Lacey said. "Regardless of what their ideas behind the decision were, they definitely should have told us much earlier and now I have absolutely no desire to be here."

Others disagreed.

"I love it here," Anderson said. "Now I have to go start over at a new school"