Saturday, Oct. 19, 2024

Jellina seizes SG prez office

Late-night MGC coup alters student government structure

A month after losing the Student Government run-off election for president to Tile Kaylor, Goseph Jellina stormed the SG office in the Mary Graydon Center late Monday night, declared martial law and named himself SG Despot.

"I am in control here," Jellina said. "Me. Me. Me."

Among various acts, Jellina disbanded the GA and replaced it with a new governmental body called the Student Senate. The Student Senate will be manned by Jellina's campaign staffers and friends.

Kaylor could not be reached for comment, as his campaign spokesman said he was busy memorizing the dance sequence from "Flashdance."

Outgoing SG President Tollhouse Knish said he was not surprised by Jellina's actions.

"I sort of thought Gil Pout was going to do something similar last year after I beat him in the election," Knish said.

Jellina and the other officers will hold a celebratory parade Saturday morning on the Quad.

When reached for comment, AU President Len Badner said he wondered what Kaylor will do in response.

"I wonder what Kaylor will do in response," he said.

He also said he was concerned for campus safety in the wake of the coup.

"I'm also concerned for campus safety in the wake of the coup," he said.

The campus reaction to the coup was fierce on all sides. Pro-Jellina militias celebrated in the LA Quad late into the night Monday, while violence erupted outside Leonard Hall Tuesday.

A guerilla group of Taylor supporters opened fire on bystanders at 4:03 p.m. right outside the entrance to Leonard, soaking everyone in sight with waterguns. When SS officers attempted to corrall them, several other Taylor supporters dropped water-grenades from fourth-story windows, splashing everyone in sight.

Though none were killed, Leonard does not have enough washing machines for everyone whose clothing was wet in the massacre. The Red Cross is in the process of establishing a campus-wide laundry machine donation system to aid victims.