SIS profs abolish late-HW penalties

Policy follows video store's footsteps

In a nod to Blockbuster Video's recent decision to no longer charge members late fees for videos, School of International Service Dean David Cadman announced Tuesday that students will no longer be penalized for handing in homework late.

"Internal research has concluded that learning to work on deadline does not help prepare students for the real world," Cadman said.

In the past, if students failed to turn in their homework on time during three incidents, they were at risk for failing the class.

"I think it's great," said Medie Ocrity, a sophomore in SIS. "Now I never have to turn in my homework for my Wednesday block class. ... I can go to all the Tuesday night parties and not have to worry about work."

Senior Nearlee Therr agreed with Ocrity. "I am so sick of school and homework. Now I can go home and play video games and count the days left until I graduate in May."

AU is the first school to try such a policy. Harvard and Georgetown were in the final stages of implementing it when students went on a hunger strike until the old policy, in which homework must be turned in on time, was restored.

"I agree with the students from Harvard and Georgetown," said Goody Tushoos, a freshman in SOC. "If SOC did that, I would be appalled."

The new "no late fees" policy will be put into effect next year, according to Dean Cadman. "After the announcement, we have been receiving a large influx of applications from all over the world," said Cadman.

Last year, the school accepted students from China, Japan, Russia, Italy and many other countries. This year, they plan to include such small, overlooked countries as Guarmara, Comatosa, the Republic of Poortun and New Jersey.

"I can't wait to apply to American University's SIS program," said Dum Bell, a high school senior from Kaworrstan. "I applied early decision and can't wait to move to the U.S. and not do any work."

"This is what college is all about," said Mon Julcahy, who is in his seventh year of higher education. "I haven't been doing work for years, and now it's perfectly fine not to"