Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Stephen Kellogg and Sixers mix old with new

Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers "Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers" (Foundations) A

In the arithmetically impaired footsteps of the now-defunct trio Ben Folds Five, Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers are a three-man outfit with an unfathomable amount of energy and an infectious love for their job. The band combines an unassuming rock and alt-country sound with improvisational and intimate stage shows for a unique and consistently memorable live experience.

The Sixers' CDs, and Kellogg's solo releases before he joined with drummer Brian Factor and bassist Keith Karlson, were often only enjoyable after the listener had seen the singer in action. Because the boys' quirky and fun-loving behavior can't be captured on a disc, it typically takes a visit to one of their live shows to appreciate their studio releases.

The band's most recent release, the self-titled "Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers," is the closest the boys have come to a standalone album. The CD is a half-and-half blend of new tunes and reproduced songs from previous Kellogg albums, giving it the feel of a greatest hits record.

The CD, despite the New England roots of the three bandmates, has a vaguely twangy feel. Kellogg's voice continues to stand out, as it has on past releases, as the heartfelt glue of the group.

Kellogg's earnest and endearingly unguarded lyrics are evident on this album. Lines such as "her hips could shake a mountain / And her lips could start a fire," make the listener wonder why Kellogg's songs haven't been overplayed on the radio yet.

The difference between Kellogg and other more mainstream musicians, however, may lay in the songwriter's inability to separate touching lyrical content from clich? metaphors and overly personal anecdotes. The lines "when I was little I had Sky the dinosaur / I don't think much of that toy anymore" are cringe-worthy in their overt admissions of Kellogg's personal life.

Overall, however, the band offers its best release to date with its eponymous album. Nearly every track is enjoyable, causing the album to enter the exclusive and decidedly short list of CDs that can be listened to all the way through without rolled eyes and skipped songs.

While previously released songs occupy much of the track list, the new material holds promise. Kellogg and the Sixers attempt a foray into harder rock with the new track "Vegas." Where musicians before them have failed in attempts to add an edge to their tried-and-true emotional and quirky rock styles (see Ryan Adams and Ben Kweller), the Sixers pull off the song with ease, demonstrating their musical range and flexibility.

Admittedly, Stephen Kellogg and the Sixers will probably continue to win hearts and sell CDs at their live performances rather than on the musical merit of their studio album alone. A recording, alas, is no match for the band members' goofy on-stage demeanor, their candid stories of first kisses and the occasional ironic choreographed dance sequence. Their newest release provides musical satiation and an enjoyable listening experience for those who haven't yet had the pleasure.