Democrats don straw hats for hoedown

2005-2006 executive board inducted by interim president Jon Dawood

The amphitheater was filled with barbecue, bluegrass music and donkey-shaped pi¤atas getting whacked to pieces at the College Democrats' "If you can't beat 'em, join 'em" hoedown Saturday night.

"The purpose of the hoedown is to have a College Dems event on campus that's purely social, not political," said Ashley Mushnick, the group's newly elected president. "But obviously we're having a little fun Bush bashing, too."

The AU musical group the Bluegrass Massacre took the stage. Chris Dewitt, The Eagle's music editor, and Lauren Jacobs, aka Little Critter, supplied bluegrass tunes all night.

A cardboard cutout of President Bush made its way around the event, starting out as a backup singer for the Bluegrass Massacre.

The event, attended by about 50 students, also served to welcome and introduce the 2005-2006 executive board that was elected March 20. The party's theme was suggested by incoming Vice President Matt Kent.

The theme was based on the idea that since Democrats can't beat the Republicans in presidential and most congressional elections, they should join them and act like stereotypical Republicans.

Following dinner, Jon Dawood, interim president since February, inducted the new leadership by passing a blowtorch to symbolize "the new generation." In addition to Mushnick and Kent, other members of the new executive board include Laura Reznick as secretary, Dave Levine as treasurer and Lisa Petak as representative to the D.C. Federation of College Democrats

Mushnick said she is "looking forward to next year's e-board and to kicking off next year's College Dems on the right track."

The club has faced challenges this year, with John Kerry's loss in the presidential election and the resignation of the club's president, Greg Wasserstrom, in February for personal reasons.