Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

In defense of the 'Caveman'

Men were hunters and championed their spears as weapon of choice. Women wandered and gathered and filled their baskets. No, the previous statements are not rehash of early world history. Yes, it is okay to interpret them with a guttered mind. Actually, Rob Becker, creator and writer of the play "Defending the Caveman," would have it no other way. "Caveman," the longest running one man show in Broadway history, features Kevin Burke, who brings the charm of a Ringling Brothers circus clown to the stage, as he paints the cultural evolution of men and women and each of their very distinct customs, language patterns and qualities. Becker's play is keen on the simplicity of manhood and the caffeinated relationship style of women, and his words explain both sexes explicitly enough for even Fred Flintstone to catch. Before writing the show, Becker made "an informal study of anthropology, prehistory, psychology, sociology and mythology," and managed to twist and interpret his research to illustrate the hilarity of the differences between men and women. For example, to explain the differences between sexes, Burke uses a classic scenario. "The chip bowl is empty," he says, begging the question, "Who will refill it?" Quite observant of reality, the show goes on to explain that men, as negotiators, will claim their activities and assets to avoid having to retreat from watching the big game. Why should the guy who bought the chips, or who provided the couch they sit on, have to refill the bowl? On the other hand, women, the play explains, are cooperators and will all journey to refill the bowl together-and probably take a group detour into the restroom-as all flocks of women do, according to the show. "Caveman" is perceptive, and does its best to dispel false habits of women and men. This is quite a daunting task, considering so many clich?s often prove to be true. Between streams of giggles and guffaws from the audience, "Caveman" explains that men are hunters. They will focus on their objects of prey, and will even use the television remote as their spear as they kill channels. Women are the gatherers, just as in early civilizations, and can always retain details from their favorite activity-talking. Men just want a day of fishing without discussion, while women want to frolic in the galleria and discover the quirks of their friends. The writings are on the wall-Burke will share that the secret to understanding other lies in cave art-just not quite what is found at Lascaux. If the idea of fielding valuable, hilarious insight on the opposite sex isn't incentive enough to check out the show, perhaps 13 years of sold-out performances will prove that "Defending the Caveman" is a must-see. Check it out with friends or share it with that easily misinterpreted spring fling. "Caveman" will surely bam-bam some sense about both sexes into everyone's brain. "Defending the Caveman will run through April 30 at the Rosslyn Spectrum Theatre, 1611 N. Kent Street, Rosslyn, Va. Shows at 7:30 p.m. Thursdays and Fridays, 5:00 and 8:00 p.m. on Saturdays and Sundays at 3:00 p.m.