Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Ramblings of a real-life record store clerk

As a clerk at Crooked Beats, a record store in Adams Morgan, I know what it's like to live that "High Fidelity" lifestyle. In reality, I find myself making so many snide comments about bands I dislike, and the music I can't buy, that I feel compelled to say something positive. Here's a handful of my favorite new artists and the recent buzz about them. Happy Listening!

Team Sleep

The side project of Deftones lead singer Chino Moreno, fans have been waiting on Team Sleeps's CD for years, since rumors first surfaced of the group's existence. As typical with Deftones-related news, word is scarce and hushed, consisting of a leaked demo (for which most of the songs are not on the final release), a single, an EPK and some clips that surfaced on MySpace, fueling the rabid buzz. Despite the practically absent material, what can be heard is incredible, as should be expected from Moreno. I join the ranks awaiting May 10, when the album finally arrives.

The Octopus Project

I recently saw them open for ...And You Will Know Us By The Trail of Dead at the Black Cat and it's always amazing to me when an opening band steals the show. A three-piece from the budding Austin scene, The Octopus Project does all instrumental material, with every band member playing just about anything. My jaw was on the floor for the duration of their set. It really felt like they were chasing something: an idea. Their material is emotional, intricate and thought provoking, without being pretentious or stealing melodies from influences (see: Arcade Fire).

Francis The Mute

The project of Cedric and Omar, two-fifths of the fiery (and sadly deceased) At The Drive-In, released what has to be my favorite album so far this year. It pulls from everything, from Fela Kuti to Refused's "The Shape of Punk to Come." They're so well listened, it's dazzling. Curse everyone who called it 'prog,' these guys can play, chase ideas and jam like crazy. They also go light years beyond their debut and never cease to amaze. They take chances and they listen to their favorite records, not steal from them. A must-buy.