Friday, Sept. 13, 2024

Staff Editorial: Bible should skip class

A bill is currently before the Kansas legislature to require the teaching of creationism alongside the theory of evolution in the state's high schools. The fight to challenge evolution in the classrooms of America boils down to the centuries-old clash between religion and science.

There was a time not too long ago when people had spirited arguments over whether or not the Earth was flat, or whether or not the sun revolved around the Earth. Some people, such as Galileo, even faced retribution from church authorities, who were much more powerful at that time.

Religion and science need not be in a constant state of war, but with religion being based on what is unseen and science on what is seen, there will inevitably be a tug of war between the two. Those in favor of creationism in the classroom are usually those who take a literal interpretation of the Bible, which can be dangerous if taken too far.

American University does not currently reference creationism, but teachers are not known to force students to believe anything that goes against their personal beliefs, which is as it should be. While everyone is free to believe what they wish, we must not forget that science is science.

Faith and reason are not and should not be totally irreconcilable, and some religious people have found common ground between their faith and recent scientific advancements. While the Bible is a historical book and seeks to explain concepts through its stories, it is above all else a statement of religious principles, and is therefore not suitable to be referenced in schools.