Tuesday, Sept. 24, 2024

Totes with the most

Fresh, cool new designs for spring

After the sporadic snowstorms throughout March, it might be hard to believe, but spring is here. And with spring comes enlightened moods, itty-bitty garments that we like to call our clothing and spring bags.

After scouring fashion and lifestyle magazines and websites, it can be concluded that there are three main designs and three main styles of bags or purses that deserve attention this spring. Designs that we'll be seeing lots of include metallics, bright and bold colors or patterns and natural materials like straw. Leading styles this spring include, but are in no means limited to, hobos, totes and clutches.

Some great metallic bags include the new Coach "Soho" dusted suede hobo and gold leather hobo ($228 and $428); the Profile Couture clutch, bowler, and totes ($22, $44 and $55); the mini and medium Buckets from Geraldine Quilt Collection ($225 and $275); and the Metallic Python-Embossed Leather Slouch by Banana Republic ($128).

A few fun choices of bright and bold colors include Bandolino's "San Marino II" hobo and tote ($68 and $118); Coach's new "Hamptons Weekend" collection (ranging from $98 to $248); and the coral studded shoulder bag by Nine West ($79).

Woven bags that stand out as great deals include the Wicker Picnic Satchel by Banana Republic ($78); the "Pixie Flap" by The Sak ($55); and the "Annie" and "Julia" bags by Buzz By Jane Fox ($165 and $150).

Each spring, companies come out with new lines that either hit or miss. This season we have two classic designers and two that are gradually becoming better-known.

Louis Vuitton - Their spring line presents some familiar patterns and some that aren't so familiar. The "Monogram Multicolore" is back, this time on a cute little clutch modeled on the glossy pages of fashion magazines by the equally elegant Uma Thurman. The classic "Monogram Canvas," their most popular design, is back as well. However, this time it's adorning the outside of the new "Manhattan" bag, which is not yet being toted by anyone but celebrities like the extremely stylish Sarah Jessica Parker. These two bags fit in perfectly with the classic Louis collections. See for yourself at www.louisvuitton.com. Grade: B

Coach has another set of classic designs with fun spring twists. Their "Hamptons" Collection is becoming more and more popular this spring with all of its bright colors, including a fun modification on the classic C's. Coach definitely does a good job of providing variety. They have an array of options, from hobos to totes to weekender bags to little clutches and wristlets. They have also expanded beyond the classic plain leather and C's to include snakeskin and retro styles of hobos. However, best of all, they're much more affordable than comparable designers. Check out the collection at www.coach.com. Grade: B+

G. Series Designs by Cole Haan is a fairly new corporation that has an excellent selection of metallic bags. They also have hobos and totes in an unexpected variety of fabrics and designs, often featuring unique embellishments that separate this brand from others like it. While they can be on the slightly pricey side, you can be assured that you're getting great quality. Rate designs at www.colehaan.com/gseries. Grade: B

The impressive designs of Buzz by Jane Fox are generating a lot of talk. Talk about variety! They have many more designs than the previously mentioned "Annie" and "Julia" bags. Their 2005 spring/summer collection includes everything you could want in a range of styles and fabrics, all featuring their signature bee logo. Their products can be found online at www.janefox.com, as well as at select local boutiques. Grade: A

Now then, what girl doesn't love a bargain? There are a few bags that are just too great of a steal not to mention. The Gap has a great selection of bright and bold colors this spring at affordable prices. Their "Suede Shopper Tote" ($78) comes in multiple colors. They also have a "Printed Studded Handle Clutch" ($39.50) and a "Dressy Ruffle Clutch" ($24.50), which are very cute. If you're looking for totes, look no further than J. Crew, with canvas totes this spring in every possible size and color (ranging from $39.50 to $78). Old Navy has very cute linen clutches for $10.50, while JC Penney has a large straw tote by St. John's Bay for $35 that makes a great carryall to work or to the beach. And if you're looking for inexpensive metallics, Lulu bags are the way to go. Check out www.lulu-nyc.com for a great selection of metallic bags ranging from $24 to $50, available at Nordstrom.