Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

UN center stage in politi-thriller

Pollack delivers global drama

"The Interpreter" is the all-out rollercoaster thriller of the spring. The movie makes the viewer whirl through every imaginable emotion. At times, audiences will jump from their seats in fear, and other times they'll let out a laugh.

The movie begins in the fictional country of Motobo in Africa. In the opening scene, African children show two men bodies hidden in the depths of a soccer stadium before child soldiers open fire on the two. Moments later, an important black "diplomatic" car rolls up to the stadium, exposing the true controversy of the scene that just took place and specifically linking it to politics.

The film then switches over to New York City to introduce the main character, Silvia Broome, played by Nicole Kidman. Broome, an interpreter for the United Nations, specifically interprets special cases involving Motobo, her home country. Kidman finds herself in the middle of a storm when she overhears a conversation after working hours. After she repeats what she hears, Tobin Keller (Sean Penn), a Secret Service officer, is called in to investigate. Penn and Kidman start out almost as enemies; he sees her as a liar, and she fails to tell him anything truthful or worthwhile about her past. They develop a strange but genuine friendship.

The threat Kidman overhears involves Zuwanie, the president of Motobo. Zuwanie plans to come to the United Nations to defend his past, checkered with specific human rights violations. He hopes to defend his case in front of the U.N. to avoid being tried in front of the International Criminal Court. One of the coolest aspects of this movie was to see how the Secret Service mobilized forces to protect Zuwanie and secure the U.N. building in New York to prevent a murder on American soil. The movie shows the stakeout and follows the investigation closely with the Secret Service officers.

Penn's Secret Service partner, Dot Woods, was the comic relief of the movie. Played by Catherine Keener, she had a dry, sarcastic humor that fit well with the film's tone: not too serious, but good for giving the audience a few chuckles.

The movie was not just a manhunt. There was a huge action segment involving a bomb explosion. The thrills of the movie were very appropriate for the current global scene of the 21st century. Focusing around security in public areas and the constant threat of terrorism, it was very realistic. Also, the movie's characters were fitting, considering the diversity of today's international career options.

This movie addressed the main fears of the world in the 21st century while using undeniably talented actors. It was gripping all the way to the end. Kidman played the role of a white African female superbly, exposing a past filled with racial tensions in her home country of Motobo. Penn also played his role very well. As a grieving Secret Service officer, he devotes his entire life to the case, exposing his inability to fully deal with his life. Perhaps the most interesting part of the movie was that it was shot in the U.N. building, giving viewers a behind-the-scenes view.

This film is definitely a must-see. The actors are amazing, the plot is exciting and viewers will be gripping their seats until the very end.