AU Abroad increases enrollment

The number of students studying abroad at AU increased by more than one third since last fall and the number of locations has doubled since 2003, according to the Office of International Affairs' annual report.

Robert Pastor, vice president of International Affairs, said he has focused on enhancing AU Abroad "because most students will say that one of the most important experiences, if not the most important in their undergraduate life, was the opportunity to study abroad."

"In the case of myself, it changed the entire direction of my career," said Pastor, who studied in England.

While the number of study abroad locations has increased from 15 to 33 in two years, the number of programs in those locations has jumped from 15 to 84 in as many years. For fall 2005, 377 students have confirmed their participation in AU Abroad.

A popular option among students is to study abroad during the summer months to allow more time for classes during the school year. Enrollment in summer abroad programs has increased from 30 students in 2004 to 72 last summer.

Derek Heiss, a sophomore in the School of International Service, plans to study in Berlin.

"I'm very excited about learning the language and gaining plenty of travel experience," Heiss said. "I think the increased enrollment makes the program more competitive but as long as students know it's rolling admissions, they should be fine."

Bethany Arnold, a junior in SIS, enjoyed her study abroad semester in Belgium.

"It was the amazing semester I ever had, I visited 16 countries in 15 weeks and learned more than I could ever know about the European Union," Arnold said. "The things I learned really pertained to where I was living and traveled."

Pastor said he has worked to decrease enclave programs, in which AU students live and attend school only with each other, and enroll AU students in universities abroad to take classes with their students. Last summer a new program helped students brush up on their language skills before heading abroad.

A new program called Abroad at AU allows international students to take classes at AU on a non-degree basis. They are paired up with AU freshmen and students who have studied abroad and they take some classes about the United States to get a taste of the culture. The program is the first of its kind, Pastor said.

"Now we're taking the lead in opening up our university to international students," Pastor said.