Monday, Sept. 23, 2024

Beat the 'Baxter' blues

Showalter's latest film is a safe bet

Michael Showalter ("Wet Hot American Summer," Comedy Central's "Stella") is funny, but may not be at the top of his comedic game in his newest endeavor, "The Baxter."

Showalter wrote, directed and starred in this romantic comedy about a "baxter," a loveable man from New York City who plays it safe. He's no heartthrob and certainly not a knight in shining armor. He's the man women settle on, for lack of anyone better. Accountant Elliot Sherman (Showalter) falls for magazine editor Caroline Swann (Elizabeth Banks, from "Spider-Man" and "The 40-Year-Old Virgin"), setting in motion a comfortable romance leading to something more.

Things are peachy until Caroline's high school sweetheart Bradley (Justin Theroux of "Mulholland Drive") comes into the picture, desperate to win back his former flame. Elliot does his best to fend off Bradley's advances on Caroline as the wedding day approaches, making a complete fool of himself in the process. All the while, however, Elliot is subconsciously falling for a more perfect match. His office temp Cecil Mills (Michelle Williams of "Dawson's Creek") is a timid young woman in a rocky relationship of her own who teaches Elliot to take risks.

Despite his love for power walking, white wine spritzers and dabbling in piano playing, will Elliot have what it takes to win the girl? And which girl will he win?

Though Showalter may not be the greatest comedic lead, it's easy to root for him throughout this finely written and directed movie. The adorable Williams shines, Banks is gorgeous yet slightly exasperating and brilliant cameos by Michael Ian Black, Paul Rudd and Peter Dinklage make the film worth the $9 or $10. At very least, it's worth a few good laughs.